Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pearl Report - Going Electric

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

markwj

Asia Pacific
Apr 10, 2011
Hong Kong
An episode of the pearl report (TVB) is focussing on EVs in Hong Kong:

The Pearl Report - Episodes - 2014.06.09 - GOING ELECTRIC - tvb.com

Petrol fueled vehicles are the second biggest source of air pollution in HK.
What better way to smother roadside emissions than switching to electric cars? The Pearl Report asks, is the city ready to go electric? Also, there's no doubt electric vehicles are environmentally friendly.
But can they cope with running for long hours, on HK's hilly terrain? Does it make good business sense to investment in them?

Reporter: Renato Reyes

Video now up at: - myTV - tvb.com

Last edited:
Video now up at:

myTV - tvb.com

Overall, at least we got the coverage. The only issue I had with it was that they spent a lot of time presenting the negatives of relying on public charging infrastructure, but no time on the positives of the experience IF you have your own charging point at home/office. The second half (commercial trials and experience) was far more balanced.

I hope that some top decision makers in our government watched this report, and give full support to make charging stations soon. Maybe just uses Tesla Supercharger technology, because this patent is now open and proved beneficial and effective.

Personally, I may not need those public Superchargers; but taxi, shuttle bus, trucks, really need to have convenient and fast charging stations, then they are all willing to use EV in near future. These cars are making a lot more road side air pollutions than other private cars.

I am so often seeing some van/truck/bus exhaust black smoke from their tailpipe; I really wanted to stop them and ask the to check their cars, but doing so i will cause big travel congestion.

I hope that some top decision makers in our government watched this report, and give full support to make charging stations soon. Maybe just uses Tesla Supercharger technology, because this patent is now open and proved beneficial and effective.

I'm kind-of-hoping certain politicians didn't see Noel's bit (Fast Car and all that). Not really representative, but fun nevertheless.

I am so often seeing some van/truck/bus exhaust black smoke from their tailpipe; I really wanted to stop them and ask the to check their cars, but doing so i will cause big travel congestion.

You can report them online, but best to have photographic evidence:

Environmental Protection Interactive Centre : Smoky Diesel Vehicles Complaint Form

Or, if you are really keen you can become an accredited volunteer spotter:

EPD - To Report Pollution - Spotter Training

Personally, I may not need those public Superchargers; but taxi, shuttle bus, trucks, really need to have convenient and fast charging stations, then they are all willing to use EV in near future. These cars are making a lot more road side air pollutions than other private cars.

The patent is now opened? Has this been officially announced yet?

I managed to download the 1st half of the program (after trying couple hours with different software) from tvb.com. Maybe I can show them the video in owners' meeting. I think the first half is a good intro for people who have no idea about what EV is or EV development in HK.