Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tried connecting Apple external USB SuperDrive to USB port - no luck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was lamenting about the Model S not having a cd drive, so after reading about some USB mice working through the USB port, I thought it was a brilliant idea to try Apple's external USB SuperDrive which is powered through its USB connection. Alas, It does not even allow the cd to load, let alone play one. There is no appearance of the drive on the Media player Devices screen like when you insert a thumb drive into the USB slot.
Are there any computer experts out there that have some ideas about this? Does the OS have to recognize the device and tell it to power up?
Of course, I was also dreaming of DVDs playing on the center screen too. Rats!
michael

@ercarfan: Since Linux is running on the car I was hoping there was a generic cd drive driver out there. Seems like there would be a use for Tesla to be able to connect a cd/dvd drive for backup download purposes (network down). I guess what you are saying is that they could have a driver in the system but not one that would work for the apple drive. Is there a way to snoop and find out if there is a cd/dvd driver in the OS?

@ercarfan: Since Linux is running on the car I was hoping there was a generic cd drive driver out there. Seems like there would be a use for Tesla to be able to connect a cd/dvd drive for backup download purposes (network down). I guess what you are saying is that they could have a driver in the system but not one that would work for the apple drive. Is there a way to snoop and find out if there is a cd/dvd driver in the OS?

The drivers exist, they are just not installed. As there is a very limited amount of storage (I assume) every driver you install means there is something else (like additional map data) that you don't install.

Sorry, I incorrectly implied that the drive software did not exist. I meant that from Tesla's point of view there is no support for external drives and they do not allow customers to access the OS at this time, so it's not currently possible to connect a drive to the USB port and have it function in a way that we can access, there's no UI for it.

I believe that Elon has stated that in the future Tesla will open up the car's OS to third party apps. At that time it seems likely that there could be an app that would support various types of external drives.

I think Model S apps would be great but I don't think that Tesla should put a high priority on it. I do have a concern that apps could become a driver distraction.

I have had no luck connecting a 2 TB USB HD. Initially the light is turned on, and the HD seems to be working, but after a minute it goes passive. The media library never recognises the connected HD.

Is there anything to be done, or do I have to try another HD? (I'm using Toshiba Stor.E Plus)

I have had no luck connecting a 2 TB USB HD. Initially the light is turned on, and the HD seems to be working, but after a minute it goes passive. The media library never recognises the connected HD.

Is there anything to be done, or do I have to try another HD? (I'm using Toshiba Stor.E Plus)

USB drives must be formatted using FAT32. They will not be visible to the car if they're formatted as NTFS volumes.