Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk interview by Sky News in the U.K on June 7, 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thanks DaveT, great interview. Always fun watching Elon answer questions...shoots from the hip and not rehearsed Q&A.

I agree. Hard to put my finger on it, but Elon seems more relaxed, light-hearted, and sort of tolerant to offbeat or charged questions here and at the annual meeting. As we've all seen he's always been very candid, but his tone and body language seem less guarded to me, even more approachable than what we've seen before. I'd like to think this is because things are well enough that even time with one of Rupert Murdoch's reporters can be taken with a light hearted spirit.

thanks for posting this DaveT.

Last edited:
I really enjoy his interviews. He is showing great growth in his ability to answer questions, and is, and comes across, as quite genuine. Mars in 10-12 years. sign me up.

Do you guys mind that he was asked twice about his founding of Tesla and there was no qualification of that? You have to realize Musk did not found the company. Otherwise, good interview and covers a lot of points.

Before Elon, Tesla was two guys and a business plan.
Without those two guys and that businesses plan there would be no tesla, no tesla roadster, no tesla model S, no tesla model X etc.
There might still be SpaceX, but no tesla.
Musk brought money and steelhard ego and almost sank tesla motors in early years by his 'design vision' and all modification that had to be done because of him and his ideas.

When money talks bulshit walks. Musk is no founder, he is only funder.

Without those two guys and that businesses plan there would be no tesla, no tesla roadster, no tesla model S, no tesla model X etc.
There might still be SpaceX, but no tesla.
Musk brought money and steelhard ego and almost sank tesla motors in early years by his 'design vision' and all modification that had to be done because of him and his ideas.

When money talks bulshit walks. Musk is no founder, he is only funder.

I see Tesla's past differently. It is very easy to come up with a business plan, anyone can do it. It is far more difficult to fund, create and run a disruptive business in a highly competitive space. Imo, without Elon there would be no Tesla cars on the roads.

His design vision and striving for perfection is the reason why Tesla cars are selling like hot cakes.

I see Tesla's past differently. It is very easy to come up with a business plan, anyone can do it. It is far more difficult to fund, create and run a disruptive business in a highly competitive space. Imo, without Elon there would be no Tesla cars on the roads.

His design vision and striving for perfection is the reason why Tesla cars are selling like hot cakes.

THIS^
Elon was THE catalyst. He accomplishes things. Look at his bulldog resolve to start SpaceX no matter the obstacles that came before him. Elon expressed interest in electric cars and their advancement before he met Martin Eberhard and Marc Tarpenning. He would have done it with or without Tesla. He didn't incorporate the name Tesla, but he did basically make Tesla. I'm positive they would have failed without his resolve, vision and money.

I see Tesla's past differently.
Not to brag about it, but:
against

Beside those two guys and a business plan there was also a pre-roadster proof-of-concept car payed for and driven for a year by the real to-be co-founder Martin Eberhard. Even before there was a business plan.
That car was the real physical proof that small LiIon cells can work in a car. At that time everybody and their aunt knew electric cars are nonsense, using laptop batteries that burn and explode doubly so.

That does not make him a founder. You can define a "modern Tesla" founded by Elon Musk.
You may like him and worship him. That does not change the chain of events that happened ~10 years ago. He came later and brought the bigger part of the money. And much of that money was spent on things he demanded. And then blamed on others.

I think theres a difference between the path of the one roadster and those guys would have went and the path where Elon went with new design and Model S. And yes they learned from lessons of the companys 1st gen car, but many i think do believe that Tesla would have ended up going in slightly different direction and very doubtfully a better one would not be for Elons intervention. So if you define founder by the creation of the letters of the name itself and core concept then he is not the founder, but if you define a role of founder as guiding principles for a group of people (Elons own definiton of what a company is) then he is definately the founder of Tesla. So it really depends how you define it and ultimately matters not a whole lot since we love the guy, the idea and people who strive for same - us! :)