Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car start with charging cord still attached

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And it's an especially nice safety feature when you do a Car Show Event. Just plug in your cable to the car with nothing attached to the other end (just coil it into the trunk), and then you can have folks sit in and play with all the touchscreen functions w/o worrying about them possibly plowing through throngs of other peoples... It also nicely shows off how the recharging function works.

And it's an especially nice safety feature when you do a Car Show Event. Just plug in your cable to the car with nothing attached to the other end (just coil it into the trunk), and then you can have folks sit in and play with all the touchscreen functions w/o worrying about them possibly plowing through throngs of other peoples... It also nicely shows off how the recharging function works.

But you miss the "WOW" when the display flips to the speedometer.

I'd prefer if they did an auto eject on it like we have on ambulances and fire trucks. Get in and put it in drive and it spits out the cord so you don't have to think about it. Combine with hanging the cord from the ceiling so that when you pull in to your garage it's hanging right beside the charge port and you're set, a much better plug in experience.

I'd prefer if they did an auto eject on it like we have on ambulances and fire trucks. Get in and put it in drive and it spits out the cord so you don't have to think about it. Combine with hanging the cord from the ceiling so that when you pull in to your garage it's hanging right beside the charge port and you're set, a much better plug in experience.

Putting out fires in your Tesla are ya? LOL

If it swings forward past where it was originally you've designed it with way too much force on the ejector. I've never had the cord from the ambulance hit the side of the truck as I'm driving out. it falls away and hangs about a foot from the outlet, the spring loaded cover then closes over the outlet.
When I get a Tesla I'll definitely be doing the hanging cord setup, I just wish I didn't have to manually unplug each time (especially knowing how many people complain about the unlocking dance to get it to release as you approach the car from the rear corner)

I know it's a very minor complaint, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a better way to do things than was chosen.

If it swings forward past where it was originally you've designed it with way too much force on the ejector. I've never had the cord from the ambulance hit the side of the truck as I'm driving out. it falls away and hangs about a foot from the outlet, the spring loaded cover then closes over the outlet.
When I get a Tesla I'll definitely be doing the hanging cord setup, I just wish I didn't have to manually unplug each time (especially knowing how many people complain about the unlocking dance to get it to release as you approach the car from the rear corner)

I know it's a very minor complaint, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a better way to do things than was chosen.

I believe the "unlocking dance" that you are talking about is when using the J1772 adapter with a chargepoint charger. There is no dance required when you use the UMC with the Tesla.
I like manually unplugging it each time.

The unlocking dance is reported by many people on this forum about the car not detecting the key in their pocket as they approach the car from than corner, requiring either pressing the key fob, or walking to the front and back to get the car to release the cable. As for liking to manually do things, were you also a fan of manually cranking over the engine in your old ICE car? Or did you appreciate the added convenience of the automatic starter?

I like this idea. Not having to get out of the car more than once would be nice if it's snowing/raining/hot/late at night/some creepy guy nearby... Not something you would do every time, but for emergencies would be nice to be able to stay in the car and drive away.