Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turn on a/c when sitting in the passengers seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
She did that and the display came on, the air was on when I left so it came on then when she shut the door everything turned off.
The key is if you touch the screen with 30 seconds (I think) of everything turning off, a passenger without the key can wake it back up. So when you exit the car, just have her tap the screen. If she forgets, she can open the door and then tap the screen once she closes it and it turns off. Kind of a silly dance to have to do, but it works.

She did that and it still did not turn on.

If she did that and it did not turn on, then that’s an issue. That’s how it’s designed. I would try it again, and if it still does not work, reboot your center console. If it *still* doesn’t work, mention it to service. As others have mentioned, cracking the door will work, even if it is a lame workaround. She can open the door, and close it until it clicks once, it’s still ‘closed’ for all intends and purposes, but the car will remain on.

There is another convoluted process you can go through while exiting the car to leave it on, but that’s hardly worth it.

the key here is timing. After a certain amount of time the screen won't turn on with a tap. So if she does it right away she is fine. If she waited too long, she just needs to open the door. I don't know if this is new to a newer firmware. I don't remember having a time limit on tapping the screen (even with a fob in the car as it was when I was doing it), but I learned this all first hand the other day.