Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test road trip in my new S85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jrreno

Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2013
Sarasota , Florida
Looking forward to a trip to the Outer Banks I decided to take my new Model S85 on a test drive. We live in Sarasota so I headed out to Port St. Lucie. I stayed close to the speed limit driving about 60 on two lane roads. I never realized how completely empty the interior of Florida is! Lot's of cattle and fruit trees!It was a very pleasant drive. I averaged 297 wh/mi.
I spent a little time driving around the plaza to find the SC behind Moe's. Had a nice chat with a couple of other owners, one couple from North Carolina that assured me my trip to OBX would be easy. After a half hour and 160 extra miles I headed to Port Orange.
Drove 75 the entire way up 95. Having been to this SC before it opened I had no trouble finding it. I clocked 137 miles between the two SCs and averaged 325 wh/mi. I decided to have an early dinner at the Olive Garden and let the car charge to full range. After a nice salad and minestrone I headed back to the car. I let it charge for a full hour and left when it had 255 rated range showing. Based on TMC info I knew it was not worth it to hang around for it to completely top off.
I headed for home via I4 through Orlando. 6 pm is not the time to travel through this town! Lots of 20 mph traffic. I decided to swing by a friends condo in Orlando to check up on it as they are not currently there. Loads of traffic around Disney. I tested out the music system. I have two 16 gig usb drives plugged in and played selections from both. Based on info on this forum I got the mini usbs that barely stick out from the console. I also checked out Slacker Radio finding "The Time Warp" from Rocky Horror :). While on this leg I used the bluetooth phone function and even had a call come in while on the phone. Its nice that it gives the option on the screen of accepting or not the incoming call.
The rest of the drive was uneventful. Since I had taken a significant side trip to my friends condo I stuck to 70 mph the rest of the way home. Arrived with 27 rated miles left. Trip from PSL was 212 miles with an average of 303 wh/mi.
I love this car! Can't wait to take it to the OBX.
image.jpg

Looking forward to a trip to the Outer Banks I decided to take my new Model S85 on a test drive. We live in Sarasota so I headed out to Port St. Lucie. I stayed close to the speed limit driving about 60 on two lane roads. I never realized how completely empty the interior of Florida is! Lot's of cattle and fruit trees!It was a very pleasant drive. I averaged 297 wh/mi.
I spent a little time driving around the plaza to find the SC behind Moe's. Had a nice chat with a couple of other owners, one couple from North Carolina that assured me my trip to OBX would be easy. After a half hour and 160 extra miles I headed to Port Orange.
Drove 75 the entire way up 95. Having been to this SC before it opened I had no trouble finding it. I clocked 137 miles between the two SCs and averaged 325 wh/mi. I decided to have an early dinner at the Olive Garden and let the car charge to full range. After a nice salad and minestrone I headed back to the car. I let it charge for a full hour and left when it had 255 rated range showing. Based on TMC info I knew it was not worth it to hang around for it to completely top off.
I headed for home via I4 through Orlando. 6 pm is not the time to travel through this town! Lots of 20 mph traffic. I decided to swing by a friends condo in Orlando to check up on it as they are not currently there. Loads of traffic around Disney. I tested out the music system. I have two 16 gig usb drives plugged in and played selections from both. Based on info on this forum I got the mini usbs that barely stick out from the console. I also checked out Slacker Radio finding "The Time Warp" from Rocky Horror :). While on this leg I used the bluetooth phone function and even had a call come in while on the phone. Its nice that it gives the option on the screen of accepting or not the incoming call.
The rest of the drive was uneventful. Since I had taken a significant side trip to my friends condo I stuck to 70 mph the rest of the way home. Arrived with 27 rated miles left. Trip from PSL was 212 miles with an average of 303 wh/mi.
I love this car! Can't wait to take it to the OBX.
View attachment 51044

Looking at that sideways pic gives me a headache, but it's a beautiful color and that pics shows it better than most (I am biased!)

You are right about Orlando traffic!