Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Song Info in Folder Mode on USB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me at least, it appears that playing a song from a USB drive through the Artist, Album, Song selections will display the artist, album and song info in the music app. If however, you go through the Folders selection, the only thing displayed is the name of the song. The MP3 file (for example) has all the tag info, but for whatever reason, it's not being displayed. Is this "just the way it works", or has anyone figured something out? Thanks in advance!

I noticed that too, and it is too bad. I use folder mode because Album mode doesn't just look at the Album name, it also tacks on the Artist too. Not good for soundtracks or compilations where there are different artists for each track. I wish Album was truly just Album, then I wouldn't need to go to Folder.

How big of a PITA is the USB functionality in the Model S? I recently jumped into a P85 and the sales rep showed me the audio system with the upgrade. The sound quality was great but it quickly fell apart when I connected my iPhone. The Bluetooth streaming sounded poor and I was shocked there was no iPod integration (I've seen the posts) and no line in. This was pretty surprising for a $2500 upgrade. I've also read there is no shuffle support in USB?

How are folks working around these limitations? I have to say I'm not super excited at the idea of having to shuttle my music back and forth from my iTunes library on a thumb drive.

How big of a PITA is the USB functionality in the Model S? I recently jumped into a P85 and the sales rep showed me the audio system with the upgrade. The sound quality was great but it quickly fell apart when I connected my iPhone. The Bluetooth streaming sounded poor and I was shocked there was no iPod integration (I've seen the posts) and no line in. This was pretty surprising for a $2500 upgrade. I've also read there is no shuffle support in USB?

How are folks working around these limitations? I have to say I'm not super excited at the idea of having to shuttle my music back and forth from my iTunes library on a thumb drive.

The $2500 audio upgrade doesn't buy you any increased functionality other than Satellite radio and arguably better sound quality w/ improved speakers and a sub-woofer. Shuttle and other improvements should be coming in future software upgrades.

Right now the closest thing you can do to a (single) playlist is to Favorite your selected songs, and then those will play in alphabetical order. It is a bit of a PITA now, but it will get better.

I'm not super excited at the idea of having to shuttle my music back and forth from my iTunes library on a thumb drive.

Well, thumb drives are not that heavy to carry, you know.:tongue: Seriously, the pain is deciding/managing what to load on the limited drive. The way around that is to use a USB hard drive that has whatever capacity you need to hold your entire library and sync it only occasionally. The problem with THAT is that scrolling through a very large list of artists/songs/albums is impractical/dangerous while driving. The Tesla interface has no playlist management. So, yeah, it's a PITA.

The way around that is to use a USB hard drive that has whatever capacity you need to hold your entire library and sync it only occasionally. The problem with THAT is that scrolling through a very large list of artists/songs/albums is impractical/dangerous while driving. The Tesla interface has no playlist management. So, yeah, it's a PITA.

The way I get around that is the first time through, mark the songs as favourites, then play the favourites which plays by song name. It's not a true shuffle, but it's better than playing them by album.

I don't have an iPod or iPhone, not do I use iTunes to organize my music. So, honestly, it's not that big a deal to throw a couple CD's worth of FLACs on a thumb drive. That will usually do me for a few weeks/months, then I rinse & repeat.

Shuffle would be nice but I usually have a big enough library on the USB drive that I don't memorize it right away.

A bigger source of frustration is the inconsistent tagging. Most of the time the car will pull album art and metadata in via 3G, but sometimes it just won't for a single song here or there. And when this happens, not only do you not have metadata, but you also lose the song timer and the ability to jump to any place within it.

I wish the car would try to read the metadata from the song itself first rather than always going to 3G.

Agreed, and when it goes to 3G for album art and can't find it, it sometimes picks some random unrelated album art to show.

Sometimes becomes "very frequently" in my collection--when it bothers to show album art at all. It did a reasonable job up until 5.9 and then it went wonky. More than half don't have the time bar or any information.

I have to say that when I first realized there wasn't even the level of iPod/ iPhone support that I've had with infiniti for the last 4 years or so I was really taken aback. Since having the car for a few months though I've hardly even noticed the omission as I've been playing with slacker radio pretty much full time with the occasional iPhone album initiated and or flash drive. I no longer subscribe to XM (I was pretty infuriated with them anyway) and I've subscribed to premium on slacker. It's not perfect but I keep thinking of obscure albums and bands for it to play that wouldn't have even been on my iPod. I can get any "stations" I need that would have been on XM including comedy and when it creates a station for me the type of music it plays seems better than any XM station I might have found. I was very lazy about making playlists anyway and having automatic play lists created that also include music I didn't already have is pretty cool. If they improve iPhone support, I'm sure I'll use it but I don't miss it at all right now. Slightly off topic I've found overall that most of the features that are "missing" on my tesla compared to other high end brands have turned out to be things I don't seem to miss. I like driving the car so much that I enjoy not having various driver aids and warnings that I used to routinely order. If tesla were cherry picking which features they could manage to deliver by priority, I think they did a good job. Anyway that's a discussion for another thread.