Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Awesome phone call from DS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got a call from my DS asking if I wanted to take delivery early! Was schedule for delivery in late August but now scheduled for pick-up on June 29th. Don't even have a Vin# yet.
Just have to rush now to get the financing and electrical work done on the garage.

Did you guys order 85's or P85's? I get that there is an end of the quarter push, but I will be pretty upset if my car gets delayed while orders coming through a lot later than mine get pushed up because they are higher value to the company. I ordered one of the cheaper configs, but its still 75K!

Mine is a S85. I always thought that the priority is given to the higher price model first. (Don't take this the wrong way) It will make sense if the company is trying to meet/beat certain revenue goal from business point of view. I view this as a pleasant surprise as I was okay with the 8/15 date already. Now I am scrambling with the electrician appointment and accessories. Also need to speed up the garage cleanup. :)

Did you guys order 85's or P85's? I get that there is an end of the quarter push, but I will be pretty upset if my car gets delayed while orders coming through a lot later than mine get pushed up because they are higher value to the company. I ordered one of the cheaper configs, but its still 75K!

They are shutting the factory down for 2 weeks in July and probably want to get the international cars built early in the quarter and onto boats. My guess is there will be very few US deliveries between 7/1 and 8/15. You guys are getting lucky and getting pulled in front of this shutdown.

Mine is a S85. I always thought that the priority is given to the higher price model first. (Don't take this the wrong way) It will make sense if the company is trying to meet/beat certain revenue goal from business point of view. I view this as a pleasant surprise as I was okay with the 8/15 date already. Now I am scrambling with the electrician appointment and accessories. Also need to speed up the garage cleanup. :)

While I understand about being able to inflate the numbers to increase total revenue, its pretty $#(#$ for us that didn't want to spend 100+K. At some point (VIN assignment maybe) you have to commit to your customer that you will take their order seriously. If newer "higher value" orders come through at a later date, its a little unfair to bump those that have been waiting. I'm only speculating that this is going on, but if my delivery gets pushed and others are getting moved up, even though I got in line first - that doesn't seem fair!

While I understand about being able to inflate the numbers to increase total revenue, its pretty $#(#$ for us that didn't want to spend 100+K. At some point (VIN assignment maybe) you have to commit to your customer that you will take their order seriously. If newer "higher value" orders come through at a later date, its a little unfair to bump those that have been waiting. I'm only speculating that this is going on, but if my delivery gets pushed and others are getting moved up, even though I got in line first - that doesn't seem fair!
It would certainly be annoying, but unfortunately likely - Tesla openly states that more expensive models are delivered earlier, as the delivery times are typically shown as being shorter on the website (well, I haven't checked recently, but that was certainly the case at least until a few weeks ago).

Last edited by a moderator:
It's certainly annoying, but Tesla is open about this policy - the delivery times on the more expensive models are typically shown as being shorter on the website (well, I haven't checked recently, but that was certainly the case at least until a few weeks ago).

The website only shows P85 to have priority, not S85. I have asked this questions many times to the sales reps, etc and was always told that outside P orders, that its in order of confirmation...and even then the P85 only has so much priority -- you can't expect 60 owners to just get bumped constantly each time a new order comes through for a higher value car, because that will always happen. Again, 75K is nothing to turn your nose at! I even tried to add in additional options two weeks ago and was told NO because it was too far along.

I am just venting, and it could certainly still be on time, its been a long wait (and yes, I know not longer than some who waited years) and was seeing light at the end of the tunnel and don't want to see it go dark again!

Last edited:
I saw that youe estimated delivery is 6/17, did a DS contact you to postpone the delivery? If so, that's unfair.

I saw that youe estimated delivery is 6/17, did a DS contact you to postpone the delivery? If so, that's unfair.

No, he has not yet said it will be pushed. He actually did email me back shortly after my previous post (coincidence?) saying that everything still was on track for the 17th. I know I'm being unreasonable and jumping to conclusions, I'm just impatient and sold my ICE way to early. Having one car for a family of 4 with 2 small children has been very stressful and I'm not only looking forward to my Model S, but just having a car again!

No, he has not yet said it will be pushed. He actually did email me back shortly after my previous post (coincidence?) saying that everything still was on track for the 17th. I know I'm being unreasonable and jumping to conclusions, I'm just impatient and sold my ICE way to early. Having one car for a family of 4 with 2 small children has been very stressful and I'm not only looking forward to my Model S, but just having a car again!

Waiting is the hardest part. Back in the early days of the MS (like 1.5 years ago) they were building cars in batches by battery size, but it doesn't seem like that is the case any more.

Since your estimated delivery is 6/17, I would think that it is going into production or is already in production already since you are away from the factory.

I wonder some of us who got called is because we live locally here in the Bay Area. When you think about it, if they have cars which are coming off the line on 6/28, the only way they can book those revenues will be selling it right-a-way to someone local where they can save on transportation time. One thing which puzzles my friend and I is that since we are picking up the car directly from the factory, why do we have to pay the delivery charge?? (I tried to look at it as admission fee to the factory tour for a family of four. :smile:)

Since your estimated delivery is 6/17, I would think that it is going into production or is already in production already since you are away from the factory.

I wonder some of us who got called is because we live locally here in the Bay Area. When you think about it, if they have cars which are coming off the line on 6/28, the only way they can book those revenues will be selling it right-a-way to someone local where they can save on transportation time. One thing which puzzles my friend and I is that since we are picking up the car directly from the factory, why do we have to pay the delivery charge?? (I tried to look at it as admission fee to the factory tour for a family of four. :smile:)

I finally went into production this afternoon, big sigh of relief!

I think your theory makes sense about being able to get as many factory pickups in by the end of the quarter, the time from finish production to delivery is much shorter. I'd imagine it could be as little as a day turn-around once its done with production. Its kind of cool if you think of that, a few days before you are driving around at warp speed, it still just a bunch of parts sitting in the warehouse. Even though its no more customizable that other cars in terms of options, its pretty cool that its being built specifically for you, rather than a dealer just scouring the inventory looking for one that matches your preferences and transporting it to their dealership for you.

Now I am anxiously waiting for my status to change to production.

I finally went into production this afternoon, big sigh of relief!

I think your theory makes sense about being able to get as many factory pickups in by the end of the quarter, the time from finish production to delivery is much shorter. I'd imagine it could be as little as a day turn-around once its done with production. Its kind of cool if you think of that, a few days before you are driving around at warp speed, it still just a bunch of parts sitting in the warehouse. Even though its no more customizable that other cars in terms of options, its pretty cool that its being built specifically for you, rather than a dealer just scouring the inventory looking for one that matches your preferences and transporting it to their dealership for you.