Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV World reports: alternative fuel racing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EV World is reporting on a recent "green motoring" conference in the UK with a special emphasis on bringing alternative fuels into racing.  Most of the event was focused on ethanol and biodiesel, apparently.  However. . . . .

Curiously, when a Tesla employee from the UK asked about the future role of pure electric cars like the Tesla Roadster, which has 130 mph top speed and 200 miles range, Richards acknowledged that motor racing is as much about its sound and fury as its death-defying speed. He joked (somewhat lamely from EV World's perspective, at least) that pure EVs would have to have loud speakers on them to provide the necessary adrenaline-arousing noise. The questioner pointed out that racing a quiet but blisteringly fast electric car is a completely different experience than driving a gasoline-powered racer, adding that maybe it would be good to have quiet race cars in the light of hearing injuries people are suffering in our noisy modern world. Richards acknowledged that would be a benefit, but suggested (condescendingly) that maybe the place for electric cars would be in go-cart racing where noise is a serious issue to the surrounding landowners.

For those who want to read the entire article, here it is:  http://www.evworld.com/article.cfm?storyid=1269

The sounds of cars on a race-track have a place in our culture. Loud noises however are not welcome in too many other areas - night clubs, sporting events and concerts being some exceptions.

How about the concept of pure-electric racing with a Beethoven concerto in the background?

Racing is racing; the thrill is in the competition. It's about pitting skills, experience, teams, machines (bio or mechanical) against themselves, others and the enviroment. That’s why we have world records, the Olympics, triathlons, pigeon, dog sled, and soapbox derby races. Man will pit anything against anything in racing.

What will not be lost is the inherent risk of high-speed motor racing. The injury or death that can occur at the quick termination of such speeds is still there. In fact, it could be argued that risk of having an EV flip over and burst into a violent battery explosion would add to the spectator's thrill. *

The subject of "silent racing" reminds me of Electric RC track competition.
With the Electric cars whether they are on a road course or off road, it's no less thrilling to take in the torque and speed of the cars. My ride in the Roadster felt exactly what I had imagined it would be like to be in my old Jerobee http://www.jerobee.com RC car.

*I must disclose here that as a 10 year SCCA racer I do not make comments like this lightly. I am a realist.

Greenspeed, you have it right. Who the heck cares about sound. What an entirely different offshoot of racing though. You'd have to consider battery juice and all sorts of other matters to make it very competitive...could be some serious dollars in it. 250 miles range could be a decent race to watch and you'd pick up a whole new audience.

GreenSpeed said:
I really wish people could get over their obsession with noise. Its about speed not noise. Noise is a by product.
Soon they are gonna start complaining that electric cars don't catch fire like gasoline cars are capable of.

Some race tracks have been in a battle to stay open because of noise.

With that said, the wastegate pop, and turbo flames from a Porsche race car would be missed.
2739.jpg

The musical tuning of a Ferrari manifold/header will be missed.

I loved to contrast the bass rumble of a Corvette V8 to the trumpet sounds a Mazda Rotary in IMSA GT.

(I worked for the SCCA for a while at Laguna Seca, and ran a propane powered turbo RX7 autocross car)