Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parcel Shelf is now a free option for new orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't order it because I thought it wasn't worth $1500, but then yesterday I found out that it has became a free option to new orders so I email David to include it for my order. Here is his respond:

You have keen eyes! Indeed, we are including this as standard for new orders.
As for existing orders, we have yet to decide how we would proceed, whether to include it automatically, to reach out to individual customers, or not to include it, especially for cars that are already built.
For your case specifically, my best guess is that you will be contacted by our team if we decide to reach out regarding this option.It wouldn't be fair to us since we reserved our cars long before these new buyers,
people who didn't get this option for free should ask for a refund on it and those who didn't include it into their configuration should also ask them to include it.

Not only that, actually, there is another free gift with Alcantara Headliner in HKD.
Capture.PNG
Capture1.PNG

If we don't do anything, we will get the parcel shelf, or do we need to contact TM to ask for it?

According to what David says, they will only contact you if they decide to include it for the reserved order (Just like the headliner option). So I would definitely call them up and ask them to include it in my order.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea, but Derek has reached out to the buyers regarding the headliner option but not the Parcel Shelf

According to what David says, they will only contact you if they decide to include it for the reserved order (Just like the headliner option). So I would definitely call them up and ask them to include it in my order.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea, but Derek has reached out to the buyers regarding the headliner option but not the Parcel Shelf

Thanks, emailed

I've asked about it as well, I don't see how they can get away with not providing it for free if new orders get it free. Not supporting early adopters.
What about the person that just picked it up yesterday. Or the day before or last week. They'd be willing to go to the service center to get theirs. You have to have a cut off otherwise anyone can say well it was "just" delivered or will be delivered tomorrow, etc. etc. Everyone is an early adopter still.

What about the person that just picked it up yesterday. Or the day before or last week. They'd be willing to go to the service center to get theirs. You have to have a cut off otherwise anyone can say well it was "just" delivered or will be delivered tomorrow, etc. etc. Everyone is an early adopter still.

Only for orders after 2 Jun. Late bird gets the worms

Unfortunately only new orders placed after June 2 will receive parcel shelves as standard equipment. Customers who ordered before June 2 should expect the car as they finalized. The parcel shelf can, however, be purchased as an accessory post-delivery if desired.

I ordered after June 2, 2012, so I should be eligible. Or is it 2011?

UK orders (sig and otherwise) had the same issue of the parcel shelf being chargeable at the time of ordering but changed to free before deliveries start.

We have all been told that we will be getting it free, and the final price has been adjusted accordingly on our paperwork. Of course we don't have our cars yet, but those promised delivery for next week (not me) have already paid at the reduced price.

On the other hand, we are also getting less charging equipment than originally promised: at time of ordering, the UMC was bundled with the car, and a type2 cable was an (overpriced) optional extra. Now, we are getting the type2 with the car instead of the UMC. While this is arguably a better thing for them to bundle, the cynic in me says that the difference in cost between an UMC and a type2 cable will have more than paid for a free parcel shelf...