Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk's hint to 2nd row seats in Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In today's shareholders meeting, Elon made a hint to "something you wouldn't expected", like the 2nd row seats. He said when the falcon-wing door opens, the 2nd row seat experience would be just "WOW".

What would that be? Maybe I am not creative enough, but I am guessing the seat would turn 90 degrees facing out, making loading a baby into the carseat extremely easy, and making 3rd row entry even more effortless because the seat back is not in the way. Just my guessing. It can be a pretty difficult engineering task to get it right.

Thoughts?

In today's shareholders meeting, Elon made a hint to "something you wouldn't expected", like the 2nd row seats. He said when the falcon-wing door opens, the 2nd row seat experience would be just "WOW".

What would that be? Maybe I am not creative enough, but I am guessing the seat would turn 90 degrees facing out, making loading a baby into the carseat extremely easy, and making 3rd row entry even more effortless because the seat back is not in the way. Just my guessing. It can be a pretty difficult engineering task to get it right.

Thoughts?
Nice first guesses....I'm intrigued by his anticipation of the Beauty of the 2nd row.

Thoughts?

That is it, actually. I was leaving dinner with my wife and daughter on Sunday when another family approached us and asked how we liked our Model S. The husband explained he worked for the seat manufacturer that supplies Tesla, and he is moving to Fremont next month (Tesla is moving the seat and headliner supplier in-house at Fremont). Apparently, his company is supplying the new seats that Elon mentioned in the shareholder meeting. He also told me that his company will be supplying the headliners as well. Anyway, I asked if he had worked on the Model X, and his reply was yes. He was excited to tell me that the seats are going to be ridiculously cool because the second row seats slide forward so you can enter the Third row with ease and the second row seats also rotate so maneuvering car seats is very easy (even when the child is already buckled in). It is difficult to describe this guy's enthusiasm for the Model X's car seats. I thought he was enthusiastic because that is his company's specialty, but after hearing Elon comment on it, they are something to look forward to.

• Funny
Reactions: dragonxt
With a handicap wife I would find that to be fantastic. Of course I would want to trade in my S for an X

Living in Michigan, I run into countless suppliers that ask me how I enjoy my Model S (because their company works or worked on it). This guy really stuck out because his enthusiasm for car seats equalled the general public's enthusiasm to seeing the 17' touchscreen for the first time. If space and ease of use is what you and your wife need, I believe the Model X will have it in spades.

That is it, actually. I was leaving dinner with my wife and daughter on Sunday when another family approached us and asked how we liked our Model S. The husband explained he worked for the seat manufacturer that supplies Tesla, and he is moving to Fremont next month (Tesla is moving the seat and headliner supplier in-house at Fremont). Apparently, his company is supplying the new seats that Elon mentioned in the shareholder meeting. He also told me that his company will be supplying the headliners as well. Anyway, I asked if he had worked on the Model X, and his reply was yes. He was excited to tell me that the seats are going to be ridiculously cool because the second row seats slide forward so you can enter the Third row with ease and the second row seats also rotate so maneuvering car seats is very easy (even when the child is already buckled in). It is difficult to describe this guy's enthusiasm for the Model X's car seats. I thought he was enthusiastic because that is his company's specialty, but after hearing Elon comment on it, they are something to look forward to.

Great tidbit! We all need to bump into suppliers from time to time as we get the best 'inside' info from them. OP...Great guess...That is something I would not have come up with on my own!

This is excellent. The concept is definitely not new I think the Rennentech Model S does this in its concept. That tidbit of information is excellent though. The Model X is going to be amazing. I think the seats are going to be an area for gross profit growth. If they started offering performance seats with bigger bolsters (recaro style) for the Model S, it's going to be a hit.

Is a new supplier making the seats for the Model X? There was already seat production in the factory by a 3rd party company when I got my car and toured the factory in March 2013. Thought they had been there since the start

I was on a factory tour in March 2013 and also saw a third party company that was the seat supplier there. Is was described as a factory within a factory and Tesla essentially leased them space within the factory.

awesome info! looks like I guessed it right. it'll be awesome to see it working.

in terms of engineering, i was wondering how it's implemented. I imagine that the seat will need to first move backward to make room for the rotation, and then slide back. Of course this assumes the 2nd-row has 3 seats. If it has the captain seat option, rotation would be easier.

awesome info! looks like I guessed it right. it'll be awesome to see it working.

in terms of engineering, i was wondering how it's implemented. I imagine that the seat will need to first move backward to make room for the rotation, and then slide back. Of course this assumes the 2nd-row has 3 seats. If it has the captain seat option, rotation would be easier.

I would like a 'Captain's Chair' option regardless of whether it can rotate with the third row being the bench

Is a new supplier making the seats for the Model X? There was already seat production in the factory by a 3rd party company when I got my car and toured the factory in March 2013. Thought they had been there since the start

I was on a factory tour in March 2013 and also saw a third party company that was the seat supplier there. Is was described as a factory within a factory and Tesla essentially leased them space within the factory.

I believe it is same supplier, updated seats. He had made a point to say that they were previously leasing space. However, they are now taking over the headliner business, which they did not supply previously.