Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wetspot / Leak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lloyds

Apr 3, 2013
Bay Area
Well this certainly sucks. Anyone else? Took it to a drive thru touchless car wash as my detailer couldn't make out to do a wash. As soon as the wash was nearly done, I noticed my laptop was wet. I thought it was maybe water from my water bottle, but after wiping it up, more dripped down to my computer. By this time, I realized there was an excessive amount of water on my laptop and it kept dripping from the roof. Now there is a spot on the roof approximately 4" diameter that seemed to have stained from the water. Now my computer is running weird and there is a wet / dryspot on the roof liner, which seems to be permanent. I'm guessing that there must have been other cases of this happening. I just want to know if this dryspot is permanent because it is pretty ugly now and want to know what Tesla did to address this

I've searched, but haven't found anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually when something like that gets a water stain it's there for good unless you can wash the whole surface uniformly. The far greater concern, in my opinion, is where is the water coming in and where else did it go? Can't say I've seen any other complaints like this. Is it possible the roof didn't close all the way? Did you notice when you got out? Otherwise I guess the water jets just shot water past the seals. I got to touchless washes pretty regularly with mine and never had an issue (though I do tape up the roof rack mounts).

Not good! Must be some seal leaking. Would this be warranty or insurance? Either way I don't envy the headache it will be to fix

The car is warranty, the laptop likely insurance, unfortunately.

Usually when something like that gets a water stain it's there for good unless you can wash the whole surface uniformly. The far greater concern, in my opinion, is where is the water coming in and where else did it go? Can't say I've seen any other complaints like this. Is it possible the roof didn't close all the way? Did you notice when you got out? Otherwise I guess the water jets just shot water past the seals. I got to touchless washes pretty regularly with mine and never had an issue (though I do tape up the roof rack mounts).

The car is warranty, the laptop likely insurance, unfortunately.

Yes, I double checked on the roof being closed as soon as I saw water dripping in. I was still in the car wash when this happened as I was frantically wiping the roof and my laptop with my hand as I didn't have any tissue or towel. Waiting to hear back from Service. I really hope the waterspot stain is not permanent. I'm guessing it's a seal issue, so this could be fixed, but the entire headliner?

Yes, I double checked on the roof being closed as soon as I saw water dripping in. I was still in the car wash when this happened as I was frantically wiping the roof and my laptop with my hand as I didn't have any tissue or towel. Waiting to hear back from Service. I really hope the waterspot stain is not permanent. I'm guessing it's a seal issue, so this could be fixed, but the entire headliner?

They'll likely just replace it. They're going to have to take it off to investigate, anyway. They very probably won't want to deal with the possibility of mold, etc. growing in there.

wow. great that you took the video. no way they can dispute what's happened or say "could not replicate".

hope it works out. i agree with gizmo - they will remove the whole headliner and replace it with a new one after they've determined the cause of leak and fixed it.

things like this are really scaring me about the pano roof :eek:

I had a leak, also after touchless car wash, from the area just above the small pillar separating the rear passenger side window and the rear small triangular fixed window. It took two attempts/trips top the SC, but it is fixed now. The work order states that a butyl tape was applied to the channel to fix the leak.

Leak 1.jpg
Leak 2.jpg

Just heard back from Tesla. Will be taking the car in next week. Was told may take several days. I really hope the headliner doesn't need to be replaced and can just be cleaned. I've tried various products, but nothings getting rid of that water ring.

Well this certainly sucks. Anyone else? Took it to a drive thru touchless car wash as my detailer couldn't make out to do a wash. As soon as the wash was nearly done, I noticed my laptop was wet. I thought it was maybe water from my water bottle, but after wiping it up, more dripped down to my computer. By this time, I realized there was an excessive amount of water on my laptop and it kept dripping from the roof. Now there is a spot on the roof approximately 4" diameter that seemed to have stained from the water. Now my computer is running weird and there is a wet / dryspot on the roof liner, which seems to be permanent. I'm guessing that there must have been other cases of this happening. I just want to know if this dryspot is permanent because it is pretty ugly now and want to know what Tesla did to address this

I've searched, but haven't found anything.

i had the same thing happen however mine came in through one of the small windows in the he back I called the SC right away and told me about it and they found the source of the problem...then replaced my liner. They MUST replace th liner because there is water that is sitting up under the liner so it needs to be cleaned out and dried properly they will have to remove your front windshield and replace it (they will pay for all of this) and if you have any film or tint on tot they will also pay to have this replaced at the place of your choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
i had the same thing happen however mine came in through one of the small windows in the he back I called the SC right away and told me about it and they found the source of the problem...then replaced my liner. They MUST replace th liner because there is water that is sitting up under the liner so it needs to be cleaned out and dried properly they will have to remove your front windshield and replace it (they will pay for all of this) and if you have any film or tint on tot they will also pay to have this replaced at the place of your choice.

Thanks! How long did it take for the repairs / replacements? Sounds a bit more involved than I was hoping.

It took them about a day to fix the actual seal that was bad (with drying times for the sealer product and testing of it etc). And since they were going to be replacing the liner I gave them the OK the bend the bad liner down the middle to clean any water that had accumulated under the liner (there was quite a bit and from your pic I'd say you probably have quite a bit as well) it took them about a week to get a new liner in from fremont and a new windshield the replacement of those two things took maybe three hours tops. And then another day for the windshield film I had on my windshield.

Just my 2 cents but you might want to call the service center now and ask them what they're plan is to fix this etc and if they're going to replace the line and windshield ask them to order it now so that they can do it to all at one time vs breaking everything up.

It took them about a day to fix the actual seal that was bad (with drying times for the sealer product and testing of it etc). And since they were going to be replacing the liner I gave them the OK the bend the bad liner down the middle to clean any water that had accumulated under the liner (there was quite a bit and from your pic I'd say you probably have quite a bit as well) it took them about a week to get a new liner in from fremont and a new windshield the replacement of those two things took maybe three hours tops. And then another day for the windshield film I had on my windshield.

Just my 2 cents but you might want to call the service center now and ask them what they're plan is to fix this etc and if they're going to replace the line and windshield ask them to order it now so that they can do it to all at one time vs breaking everything up.

Thanks much for the info. I'll keep you updated on this fix.

Was this fixed? My wife found a similar leak in the rear passenger side when she noticed her groceries wet.

Been pretty darn busy at work lately. So I got the car back. There was a bad seal, which caused the leak in the first place. They sealed it back up and were able to get the stain out of the liner, so they didn't need to get the liner replaced. Service overall was pretty good, but I am waiting to hear back from them regarding my laptop. My insurance carrier told me they would not cover any items that are caused by manufacturer defect, which in my situation is the case.