Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging Taper Curve for D+ Pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AFAIK, the bulk of supercharging data posted on the forums includes data comparing A vs. B packs. In fact, I don't think we have a single taper curve from a D pack.

Is there anyone out there with a D (or better) battery pack that would care to collect a taper curve using Visible Tesla or some other means? Or perhaps someone who has already collected this data? What I mean by a taper curve is supercharging power plotted vs SOC. SOC is % not rated miles as those vary between cars.

The reason I'm asking is because I have reason to believe the taper might be different from that of a B pack.

I posted one here...

Cold battery means not so super supercharge - Page 2

That's from a D pack. SOC and power are on separate graphs but are lined up.

Thanks for sharing, but those graphs are really not that intuitive for what I'm asking. There are just too many different scales and even then they are not fine scale enough (spacing is too large). I tried lining them up and am guessing that the taper from 90 kW occurred anywhere between 40-47%. For my A pack, I just determined this past weekend that my taper begins just before 40%, which is a higher SOC than I previously thought. However, I have a picture of a newer Tesla presumably with a D pack that is still going strong at 100+ kW at 40%.

How does one know whick pack one has?

Under the front passenger side wheel well is a sticker on the battery.

I actually logged my 1st and only SuperCharge with my D pack it was only to about 75% or so.
Screen Shot 2014-05-17 at 8.52.53 PM.png

Well, if I'm not mistaken, looking at Muzzman's chart I see his car charging at 100 kW at 44ish %. That I believe would be a departure from the taper curve of a B pack, which are at 90 kW at 40%. After 50% I'd imagine that the differences even out.

@apache, here's a screen shot of that same charge soon after I plugged in. It was about 118kwh, looks to be just over 30%.
(in case this helps get you more info)
IMG_7178.JPG

...and here's a bit more: here's just about 35% and about 110kwh
IMG_7179.JPG

...and the same graph as above with battery current turned on. It's hard to decipher the values, as I cannot change the ranges. (No complaints though VT is a great app!!)
Screen Shot 2014-06-04 at 7.22.28 PM.png

Last edited:
For my A pack, I just determined this past weekend that my taper begins just before 40%, which is a higher SOC than I previously thought. However, I have a picture of a newer Tesla presumably with a D pack that is still going strong at 100+ kW at 40%.

Are you talking about my picture I just snapped last week at the new SJC 120Kw Supercharger? I was getting about 101 kW at about 40% SOC. I have a B pack.

aaa.jpg

Actually, the one I had been referencing (without realizing it) was posted by Muzzman here:

Drove a lot today, just so I could Supercharge for the 1st time! (geek info inside)

The pic taken at 108 miles is exactly at 40% and the screen indicates a charge rate of 102 kW.

@cosmacelf - Your screen indicates that you were just a hair over 40% and pulling 101 kW. This is even more interesting considering that you have a B pack.

Now, my A pack on the other hand begins it's taper just before 40% so by the time I'm at 40% I'm at more like 88 or 89 kW and it drops quickly from there. In the 90 v 120 charge off thread the blog author posted:

1. Battery A began to taper at 100 miles.

I've never done this by pure SOC as that number seems more granular than the mileage number and harder to record.

I know believe this to be consistent with my measurements, but I'm still scratching my head as to why their data showed that the taper began at the same SOC for both B and A packs.

Thanks for sharing, but those graphs are really not that intuitive for what I'm asking. There are just too many different scales and even then they are not fine scale enough (spacing is too large). I tried lining them up and am guessing that the taper from 90 kW occurred anywhere between 40-47%. For my A pack, I just determined this past weekend that my taper begins just before 40%, which is a higher SOC than I previously thought. However, I have a picture of a newer Tesla presumably with a D pack that is still going strong at 100+ kW at 40%.

I started up the database and took a see-looky for you...

40% - 93.7 kW
45% - 87.9 kW
50% - 79.7 kW
55% - 72.0 kW
60% - 65.1 kW

90 kW threshold was crossed at 44%.

Warm car, ambient temp outside was 33 deg F.

Great, thanks for doing that. While the other pics clearly show charge rates in excess of 100 kW at 40%, your data still supports my theory of a slightly improved taper. In none of my supercharge sessions have I ever read 90 kW after the 40% mark.

Okay, new curve from this weekend:

15% - 122.9 kW
20% - 122.9 kW
25% - 118.9 kW
30% - 114.9 kW
35% - 104.7 kW
40% - 97.4 kW
45% - 86.8 kW
50% - 78.9 kW
55% - 71.2 kW
60% - 61.7 kW

90 kW threshold crossed at 43% SOC.

Screen Shot 2014-06-15 at 12.25.48 PM.png

(Interrupted the charge at 21:08 and resumed. Note that it jumped up for a minute or so from 20 kW to 25 kW when I re-engaged.

Ambient temp ~70 deg.

New P85D. I should have E pack, right?

In fremont this morning.

39% - 112KW
73% - 52KW
77% - 48KW
83% - 40KW

I didn't have VT going so this is was just from snapping photos of the cluster.

Does this taper rate seem right?

In Manteca last night:

59% - 74 KW
60% - 72 KW
61% - 70 KW
62% - 68 KW
63% - 66 KW
64% - 65 KW
65% - 64 KW
Got distracted for a minute or two :)
67% - 60 KW
68% - 59 KW