Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Analogy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gavine

Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
I picked-up my MS60 on Saturday and I have been trying to come-up with an analogy to explain how the acceleration feels. I have seen some reviews where journalists try and describe it, but I haven't seen one yet that is accurate. I came-up with one, but it's still not good enough. I'm hoping some of you talented members can come-up with a better one.

The best I could come up with is that it feels as though the car is connected to a fully stretched bungee-jumper cord and pushing the accelerator releases the brakes. The more you push on the accelerator, the less the brakes are applied. The when you let-off, the brakes begin to apply (regen). Part of why I think the bungee analogy is accurate is because it's so quiet and smooth that it feels as if the power is coming from an external source.

I just tell people it's line those roller coasters that use magnetic linear induction motors that launch you out of the gate with nearly instant acceleration. What's funny is those linear induction motors are pretty much just a rolled out flat version of the AC induction motor in the Tesla (though they might run on DC).

Catapult launch from an aircraft carrier.

This. Reminds me of the scenes set to 'Danger Zone' from "Top Gun".
(okay, you can stop snickering now.)

I do this twice a day as I merge onto Hwy 101 from a metering light. There are two lanes at the light and they go green one after the other and the pattern is not consistent morning to evening, day to day. I make sure to get in the lane that gets the green first.

It's simply exhilarating! Does explain the Wh/mile spike that negates all the good numbers later.

The acceleration is similar to what one experiences in a modern commuter rail car. There is a sense of effortless, smooth, steady pressure and in a few seconds you realize that the vehicle you are in is moving at 100 km/hr and that the power to do that must be immense.

The acceleration is similar to what one experiences in a modern commuter rail car. There is a sense of effortless, smooth, steady pressure and in a few seconds you realize that the vehicle you are in is moving at 100 km/hr and that the power to do that must be immense.

There is indeed a lot of power stored in this car. I always wondered why all electric vehicles aren't fast like this, but I realized it's because of battery capacity and if a Nissan Leaf, for example, had the kind of power that the Model S has, the range would be terrible. So the huge battery in Teslas is what affords such a powerful motor while still having good range.

It's like the 'California Screaming' ride at Disneyland. Both the acceleration and the people screaming pretty much matches what happens inside a Model S.

Having said that, I got so used to it by now it doesn't feel that strong to me any more. I know it still is because when I look in the mirrors, every car that was next to me is suddenly way behind me. But the sensation has worn out a little ;/