Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good article on the dynamics in BC for public fast charging (non-Tesla)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This article, Charged EVs | BC Hydro pushes for a timely fast charger rollout, provides a good overview of the tangled web of regulatory and market forces that British Columbia is wrestling with as it tries to aggressively build infrastructure for EV's. Even though much of this network will be redundant when the Tesla Superchargers (finally!!) go in, it is still interesting for the public policy and tech issues a public-owned utility is grappling with.

Thanks for this article. I was disturbed that it implied that Tesla was more on the side of CHAdeMO than SAE fast-charging, based on the evidence that Tesla has a CHAdeMO adapter in the catalog. Given what we know, the SAE DC adapter is going to be much simpler and cheaper than the CHAdeMO adapter. I wish Tesla would do or say something publicly about these dueling standards.

Thanks for this article. I was disturbed that it implied that Tesla was more on the side of CHAdeMO than SAE fast-charging, based on the evidence that Tesla has a CHAdeMO adapter in the catalog. Given what we know, the SAE DC adapter is going to be much simpler and cheaper than the CHAdeMO adapter. I wish Tesla would do or say something publicly about these dueling standards.
Agreed. I don't understand the lack of support for SAE DC. It's far from ideal, but seems to make a lot more sense for Tesla than CHAdeMO, at least in the US.

"At this point, the plan is to install CHAdeMO hardware at all locations – a decision that was largely a function of timing. “We had a target of 30 stations,” explained Tsang, “and the concession was that we would install CHAdeMO to the point where SAE standards become available. It’s not a perfect project that way, but after this project is finished we’ll look at what happens to the industry standards.”

This is good for the Leaf and it would sure be great if every station had a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter available (perhaps on a locked cable). That would be ideal.