Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Germany has the right idea...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
I wonder what their generation vs. usage is:

dma-24.jpg

I wonder what their generation vs. usage is:

Let's be generous and call those 250 Watt panels; there are 60 of them, so that is 15 kW DC. If you put that into the model at PVWatts Calculator for Hamburg Germany as the location, then you get an annual output of a little more than 12,000 kWh/yr. At 333 Wh per Rated Mile, that is an annual output of about 36,000 Rated Miles per year or at 150 Rated Miles per Supercharger Visit, that is worth about 240 Supercharger Visits per year.

In Colorado, the annual production would be better. The same size array in Denver would produce about 22,000 kWh/yr, about 67,000 Rated Miles per year, and about 450 Supercharges per year. That is still only about 1.25 Supercharges per day.

It takes a lot of panels and area to support the energy use of a Supercharger!

German-PV.jpg

Denver-PV.png

In Colorado, the annual production would be better. The same size array in Denver would produce about 22,000 kWh/yr, about 67,000 Rated Miles per year, and about 450 Supercharges per year. That is still only about 1.25 Supercharges per day.
Of course, in Boulder the annual production would be only + or - 6,700 Rated Miles--up to the point that our nortorious winds ripped that array right off it's base...

I doubt that's in Germany. EVs are a rarity here and have barely seen any work related or that were not owned by a utility company. And as others suggested, the car mix doesn't look very German either.