Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger paths not quite ready yet for our trip...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

FlasherZ

Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv
Jun 21, 2012
Family trip to Florida here at the end of June for Disney cruise. Did a bit of trip planning and came to the conclusion that we really won't be able to take the Tesla quite yet - the Supercharger-enabled path from St. Louis up through Chicago, through Ohio and down the east coast doubles the driving time even without charging time. When adding charge times, it would increase a 13.5 hour direct path to 31 hours of drive+charge time. While we'd love to do the exploration, I don't have enough buffer time at either end of the cruise to feel comfortable that we'd make it back in time. So into the ICE we go.

The end-2014 map shows that we could potentially cut down the drive time by ~5 hours (22.5 mi drive time), taking the new I-64 path being formed... However, given the Supercharger map, we'll lose that time due to mid-span campground charging between Louisville, KY and Charleston, WV (~240 mi) and Charleston, WV and Richmond, VA (~315 mi).

By the end of 2015, the problem is solved with the only concern being the leg between Mt Vernon, IL and Nashville, TN, which is a stretch at ~230 miles.

Looks like family vacationing with Supercharging happens when we get the Model X.

We recently went from NH to Cleveland with our toddler and 2 month old, while the straight path would have been 11 hours, our path was 15 hours including charging.

I'd say it was worth the extra time if you can manage it. Driving at night with no traffic and sleeping kids was perfect for us.

I'm looking forward to more road trips as the chargers are piled on, but will probably try to stop along the way rather than straight shoot it.

I felt like the 200 miles or so between chargers was perfect, and having a charger or two in the middle in case was a great fall back.

We recently went from NH to Cleveland with our toddler and 2 month old, while the straight path would have been 11 hours, our path was 15 hours including charging.

I could deal with a 30% increase in time, but I can't really deal with a 135% increase in time, especially since we're talking about 13.5 hours (straight) vs. 31.5 hours (long way w/ charging). That only assumes 30 minutes at a Supercharger as well, I'm sure it'll be closer to 35 hours or so to ensure I make some of the longer inter-charger runs.

4 growing boys + us crammed for 18 hours more than necessary? Food costs might exceed gasoline costs. :)

I would do it if I had the time to do it, but that's a loss of at least 36 hours or more there and back.

One of my chronic disappointments. The end of 2015 suggests that I may be able to go from NE Florida to Chicago via I 75, 24, and 65 going through Atlanta, Chattanooga, Nashville, Louisville and Lafayette, IN although some of the latter stretches appear longer than I would like. My preferred, and faster route would be to take I 24 from Chattanooga, on through Nashville and Paducah into southern IL and then I 57 to Chicago. It appears as if there is a possibility of a SC or 2 along I 57 (Mt. Vernon? Effingham?) but I'm not holding my breath. And Paducah is not on the radar at all.