Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Insurance in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

meloccom

Moderator Aus/NZ
Feb 11, 2008
Sydney Australia
Hi,
I tried to do an online quote for the Model S at my preferred insurer (NRMA) and whilst the car was in the list the website asked me to call for a quote.
I rang and they did the quote over the phone for $1350 annual premium for a $142K agreed value which seems OK to me.
Anyone else checked their insurance?

Hi,
I tried to do an online quote for the Model S at my preferred insurer (NRMA) and whilst the car was in the list the website asked me to call for a quote.
I rang and they did the quote over the phone for $1350 annual premium for a $142K agreed value which seems OK to me.
That's good news. I'm with NRMA and the pricing seems good (unusually) for them. I'll check out some others as well although previously I have had problems with guys like AAMI as soon as you go out of mainstream cars.

Hi,

I called NRMA last week and also received a great quote from them. I also called AAMI and Shannons and they were unwilling to give me a quote.

Shannons $1850 for $146,500. Max claim, valid for 12 months, business use - going to see customers but not carrying tools or passengers. Garaged in Sydney.

They asked lots of questions including "has it been converted to RHD?" and "during the day where will it generally be parked? On the street or in a car park?"

They said that they'd had 4 requests for Model S quotes today.

Response just received from AAMI:

Thank you for your email.

Sorry for the inconvenience has caused. We are still working on the data for Tesla models to add our online quoting system at the moment. Therefore please keep checking our online quote system as Tesla models will be available any time soon.

If we can be of any more help, don't hesitate to email us at any time.

Just got on the Allianz site. They now have a full listing for Tesla including all options. They allow you to go through the full quoting process, only to tell that they are not offering insurance for this car and to contact the insurance council of Australia!!! Wonderful!!
AAMI also correctly list the car, but want you to call to discuss, at least they don't reject out of hand. Ditto NRMA.

Last edited:
Just got on the Allianz site. They now have a full listing for Tesla including all options. They allow you to go through the full quoting process, only to tell that they are not offering insurance for this car and to contact the insurance council of Australia!!! Wonderful!!

OMFG don't you hate that?!?! Why waste your time. At least Bingle says straight out - if it's not listed, we don't insure it.

On phone with Just Car at the moment and doesn't look great they don't have it on their system. Have so far struck out with AAMI, Gio, Bingle and can't use NRMA as I am in Victoria. Will report back after I go through a few more.

I think Youi uses a different system to these guys which is why they could give me a quote.

Update: Have now struck out with RACV, AAMI, GIO, Bingle and NRMA (as I'm in VIC). I also struck out with Shannons because the car will be under a carport, and even though I have a locked gate, that's still not good enough - they need a garage before they will insure the Model S.

So that only leaves a few more to try before I either have to go with Youi or get a broker.

Last edited:
On phone with Just Car at the moment and doesn't look great they don't have it on their system. Have so far struck out with AAMI, Gio, Bingle and can't use NRMA as I am in Victoria. Will report back after I go through a few more.

I think Youi uses a different system to these guys which is why they could give me a quote.

Update: Have now struck out with RACV, AAMI, GIO, Bingle and NRMA (as I'm in VIC). I also struck out with Shannons because the car will be under a carport, and even though I have a locked gate, that's still not good enough - they need a garage before they will insure the Model S.

So that only leaves a few more to try before I either have to go with Youi or get a broker.

Try CGU
IIRC they are underwritten by IAG which is the insurance arm of NRMA.
Edit
They have the Model S in their on-line quote generator. I didn't finish my quote though.

Last edited: