Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Bay Area P85+ Commuters?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My P85+ is about to enter production (scheduled for delivery June 12th.) I'm having some 11th hour panic attacks about the 21" wheels. I can't seem to get a straight read from the forums/reviews as to whether or not this is a terrible idea for commuting on Bay Area freeways. I commute from Oakland to Palo Alto 2-3 times per week which includes time on 880, Dumbarton Bridge and a short stretch of 101.

Are there any other P85+ commuters here from anywhere in CA that have 80+ mile round trip commutes that can speak to their experience with regard to ride quality, tire wear and any other pertinent differences from 19" wheels?

I have the 21" wheels on a P85+ and drive daily from Redwood City to SF. Hard to comment on differences from the 19" wheels as I've never driven on them but I find the ride on 101 and 280 to be pretty good for the most part. There are obviously some rougher parts of the freeway than others but nothing alarming. Its less bumpy than my old 3-series BMW with the sport suspension. I have driven it for a year with no issue. Happy to answer any specific questions you might have.

I have the 21" wheels on a P85+ and drive daily from Redwood City to SF. Hard to comment on differences from the 19" wheels as I've never driven on them but I find the ride on 101 and 280 to be pretty good for the most part. There are obviously some rougher parts of the freeway than others but nothing alarming. Its less bumpy than my old 3-series BMW with the sport suspension. I have driven it for a year with no issue. Happy to answer any specific questions you might have.

That's actually really helpful. I'm moving to the Model S from an M-sport edition 1-series which has a pretty stiff sport suspension. I guess the main question I have is what has your tire wear been like? Have you put on enough miles that you've had to contemplate changing tires? Not sure how long you've been driving yours. Thanks for the feedback!

My wife daily drives a P85 w/ 21's from Belmont to SSF. No issues w/ potholes or road conditions in general. Curbs in her parking garage at work however are another matter. We are big fans of Alloy Gators.

With the P85+ you can't rotate the tires so your tire life is going to suck. My wife got 14k out of her first set w/ my rotating them every 5,500 miles. I'm dropping down to 3k rotation intervals on this set as at 14k on her last set the rears had cords showing but the fronts still had life so if I had rotated more often I think she could get 18-20k. These are the Continentals.

The air suspension and the sheer mass of the car soaks up bumps very well. We both find the ride quality superb.

Welcome to the club!

I have both 19's and 21's on my P85+ and you can barely tell the difference. So don't worry about that so much.
But be concerned about the rear tires wearing out quickly on the 21's. With 17.2k miles (about 3k with 19"s) I've burnt through three sets of rear tires because Tesla can't get my alignment straighten out.

I've been putting in excess of 100 miles / day. Do expect your 21s to go out in about 10k miles, so don't be surprised when you have to change them out. Overall, it's a great daily driver and I love the comfort on this car. The ride is not overly harsh, but I believe having the wider tires make the road noise that much more noticeable. Feel free to pm me if you have some questions. Love to help out another fellow TMC member

You won't regret getting a P85+ that's for sure. Just keep an eye on your rear tires (inside wear is very common). My last set went out under 4k, but good news is that the service center has so far taken care of it for me. I'm just hopping they can resolve the alignment issue once and for all. Regardless you're going to love the car.

You won't regret getting a P85+ that's for sure. Just keep an eye on your rear tires (inside wear is very common). My last set went out under 4k, but good news is that the service center has so far taken care of it for me. I'm just hopping they can resolve the alignment issue once and for all. Regardless you're going to love the car.

Did you get the new camber bolts? I wonder by how much it helps on the wear.

Interesting, I'm having the same problem. i thought my alignment was "fixed" too. My problem is excessive toe more than camber. New Tires Again | Tesla Owner

Where did you hear about this? SC? I'm wondering if my new car was assembled with whatever this fix is already in place?

It's a technical service bulletin by Tesla. The new bolts are adjustable to reduce the camber levels a little bit. This is only a bandaid though. It's the alignment and toe out that the cars keep getting jolted back into that's the problem. Alignments don't really seem to stick much in the model S for some reason.

Believe it or not, I have a P85+ in the NYC area (SW CT area), I got it as an inventory car, so I couldn't choose the wheels. Within 2 months of ownership, two of the Michelin PS PS2 developed sidewall bulges/bubbles. I'm guessing from potholes or bumps. So not wanting to spend $1100 on two replacement tires (one front, one rear), I ditched the staggered PS2 altogether and went with 4 Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 245/35/21s all around at about $210 each. Now I can rotate the tires front/back as needed in anticipation of the rumored extra wear from the P85+. I'm not a sport or track driver, but I do feel that I've lost a *tiny* bit of grip compared to the 265s in the rear when taking on/off ramps (curves) at higher speeds. While I love the Hankook tires on the 21" rims, I would guess a more experienced driver/racer would notice a very small difference in turning grip at the edges of adhesion. But it's not enough to put the PS2 back on, that's for sure. I also bought a 5th Hankook tire that fits perfectly in the frunk in case I need a quick replacement while traveling.

I do plan to get a set of 19" rims for the colder months with the Primacy tires. The 21" with Hankooks are really for summer driving only.

Believe it or not, I have a P85+ in the NYC area (SW CT area), I got it as an inventory car, so I couldn't choose the wheels. Within 2 months of ownership, two of the Michelin PS PS2 developed sidewall bulges/bubbles. I'm guessing from potholes or bumps. So not wanting to spend $1100 on two replacement tires (one front, one rear), I ditched the staggered PS2 altogether and went with 4 Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 245/35/21s all around at about $210 each. Now I can rotate the tires front/back as needed in anticipation of the rumored extra wear from the P85+. I'm not a sport or track driver, but I do feel that I've lost a *tiny* bit of grip compared to the 265s in the rear when taking on/off ramps (curves) at higher speeds. While I love the Hankook tires on the 21" rims, I would guess a more experienced driver/racer would notice a very small difference in turning grip at the edges of adhesion. But it's not enough to put the PS2 back on, that's for sure. I also bought a 5th Hankook tire that fits perfectly in the frunk in case I need a quick replacement while traveling.

I do plan to get a set of 19" rims for the colder months with the Primacy tires. The 21" with Hankooks are really for summer driving only.
Aren't the rear wheels wider on the P85+? Wonder what that does when you put them on the front wheels?

I was worried about tire wear on the P85+ but decided to take the plunge and change out the wheels if I noticed excessive wear. I have been racking the wear very closely with an elaborate spreadsheet. With about 13k miles on my car, I still have about 6/32" of tread on the rear tires and 8/32" on the fronts. These numbers have been confirmed by my recent annual service where they measured the same tread depths.

Since I live in dry California, I plan on driving these down to the legal limit (assuming there is no other dangerous wear). At the current rate of wear, I should be able to easily get to 20k miles on the rears and the fronts will go much, much longer than that. I am really happy with the result so far and am extremely glad I picked the P85+!!!