Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Navigation System is Initializing"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. I'm running 5.9. Lately, my navigation system has not been working reliably. After selecting a destination, the screen shows the message "navigation system is initializing" with the spinning wheel. The system never resolves itself and i eventually have to hit cancel. Every once in a while, the system will work properly, but that is clearly the exception. I've tried rebooting, but no improvement. Has anyone encountered this? Any suggestions?

The first thing I would do is reboot both displays just to insure they are in sync. (It's the two top buttons for the small display--I know you know this). If that doesn't resolve the issue it's time to contact ownership as it's likely the 3G system (chip, antenna, etc.)

When you have this problem, do internet-related things also stop working? I've had this happen several times (which is odd, since the Navigon turn-by-turn doesn't require internet; one just doesn't get the Google maps) and had to reboot, sometimes more than once, to get it working--sometimes I have to reboot both big and little screens. Most internet stuff seems to stop working at the same time, like voice control and Slacker.

Probably unrelated, but do you have the tech package? (I do.)

This occasional problem has happened for me only since getting 5.9. I have .96 as well.

Driving with tOS 5.11 I am frequently facing the same problem of the "navigation system is initializing". At the same time other controls also demonstrate a "freeze", like the volume control wheel at the left of the steering wheel. Looks like a CPU overload.
Next Monday the car will be at Tesla for the twinloader hardare fix and I will ask them to take care of it. Keep you posted.

UPDATE
- As expected the SC advises to reboot. Kind of Bill Gates experience.
- Harware fix works fine.

Last edited:
Same issue with Nav initializing. I have been on 1.59.44 for a mont +. Lately, every task via the touch screen and scroll wheels seem to hesitate and delay...much like the CPU is overloaded as stated above. No recent updates so not sure what brought this on!

Try rebooting the display. That increased the speed for me of 5.9 when the nav system started to get slow.

8 years later.. facing the same problem.. anyone out there still having the initializing problems in the navigation. model S 2016..

I’m having the same issue on mine. Intermittent. Some drives it works, then for several it will hang on initializing. So frustrating.
I didn't have the most up to date software.They sent the download, after I had to tell them again, to my car. It was downloading last night. Today it says navigation is initializing. Not sure what the issue is. They first told me to upgrade the infotainment for 2000$. I declined. I will send a ticket tonight and see what they say