Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to remove side mirror covers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the folding mirror upgrade done to my car, and they swapped the painted skullcaps from the original mirrors onto the folding mirrors. I asked the SC how they did that, and they said there is a special tool for releasing the clips. Without the tool, they said you will most likely break the clips.

Does anyone know how to remove the side mirror covers? Trying to swap mine out because I scraped mine :(

before you put the new ones on, you might consider getting them wrapped ... I've gotten a lot of compliments about the carbon fiber look I did to mine

mirror.JPG

Last edited:
Put a small flat plastic tool, they're called little chizzlers, near the far side of the skullcap and wedge it in. Do it gently and you'll hear a snap. Keep following the perimeter with same technique, and viola. No double-sided tape on the ones we've removed.

IMG_3826-web900.jpg

Put a small flat plastic tool, they're called little chizzlers, near the far side of the skullcap and wedge it in. Do it gently and you'll hear a snap. Keep following the perimeter with same technique, and viola. No double-sided tape on the ones we've removed.

IMG_3826-web900.jpg

A couple of questions.

Which side is the far side, and how many clips are there?

In the photo, it looks like you also removed a trim piece from the bottom of the mirror. Is it part of the top piece, or was it removed separately?

Also, did you remove the window trim to wrap it, or did you wrap it in place? The edges look very nicely wrapped.

Thanks.

These clips, are they only on the skullcap itself? I've got a damaged skullcap that I plan on replacing, so not too concerned about breaking clips on the old skullcap. Will forcing it off cause any damage to any part of the mirror itself, such as where the clips click in?

I'm assuming the new skullcap will just click in. This is for the model X, which I assume is the same as in this thread. Would rather do this myself than go to a SC, as I live far away from the closest, and they are happy to deliver the new skullcap to my door.