Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICEd Superchargers - Next Steps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This topic has probably been covered in the general thread but I wanted to create so that the topic is easier to search on.

What are the policies/procedures for an owner when they come across a Supercharger that is heavily ICEd and can not get immediate access to the Supercharger? Are all issues just supposed to be submitted to Supercharger team? Are the resolutions location specific since the signage can be different from location to location? Are only certain locations allowed to tow, based on owners permission? I think this would be helpful information to any new user and especially those that are finally getting access to a Supercharger.

Attached are pictures of Macon, GA. Was just curious of how owners have been instructed to resolve these issues so that I can communicate it back to the Atlanta Facebook group. Thank you.

10411801_10152478861369901_8037992705815558408_n.jpg

10411413_10152478861529901_6875786336180613081_n.jpg

Which version of the signage are these? It appears that there are at least two different signs. Some signs allow for short-term non-EV parking, others don't.

I would think that step #1 should be painting the spots green. The local parking garage did that, to excellent effect.

Which version of the signage are these? It appears that there are at least two different signs. Some signs allow for short-term non-EV parking, others don't.

I would think that step #1 should be painting the spots green. The local parking garage did that, to excellent effect.

I think Macon has two different signs. One is attached and I think the other one says something along the lines of "60 Minutes Electric Parking" - other thread

However is a owners next steps dependent on the signage? It does seem like Tesla has empowered their owners to help take care of the infrastructure.

10275919_732366780119990_3527443575914647045_n.jpg

In a lot of the super charger sites half the signs will say "30 minute general parking" or something along those lines. In those cases it is ok for the car to be parked there for 30 minutes. If it is just the electric vehicle parking space I'd call and report it to the supercharger team. I'm not sure what other options there are.

In a lot of the super charger sites half the signs will say "30 minute general parking" or something along those lines. In those cases it is ok for the car to be parked there for 30 minutes. If it is just the electric vehicle parking space I'd call and report it to the supercharger team. I'm not sure what other options there are.

It appears that this location's second sign reads - "60 Minute General Parking". So in this locations instance, which I want this thread to be more generalized, there is nothing to be done. However if 8 non-Teslas are parked in the stall parking spots for 45 minutes, Tesla would be creating a terrible user experience.

What about other locations, what is the protocol for signs that don't mention general parking? I'm kind of surprised that Tesla hasn't provided owners with some verbiage to help the company better maintain their infrastructure. Wouldn't Tesla like to know when their stalls are being blocked and when certain stalls are not providing the correct amount of power? Seems like they may need a bit more monitoring to ensure everything is running smoothly.

Well...that answers that question!

For the Macon, GA location the signs alternate. Are we to assume that 4 spots are dedicated and 4 are not? "Electric Vehicle Parking" and "60 Minutes Electric Parking".

Supercharger - Macon, GA - Page 6

I would assume that if Tesla gets enough calls about a particular location with lots of ICE events that they would contact the owner to see if the signs could be changed to help the situation. So Call, Call, Call and Call again !! :scared:

Well...that answers that question!

For the Macon, GA location the signs alternate. Are we to assume that 4 spots are dedicated and 4 are not? "Electric Vehicle Parking" and "60 Minutes Electric Parking".

Supercharger - Macon, GA - Page 6

No. Read those signs again. There is nothing preventing ICE vehicles from parking there. The only limitation is 60 minutes. The other signs are there to deter people from parking but don't actually prevent anything. So none of the spots are dedicated.

But remember that 5 or 6 of those stalls can be reached from either side. But I did notice that those were semi-prime parking and likely to be ICEd when I went.

No. Read those signs again. There is nothing preventing ICE vehicles from parking there. The only limitation is 60 minutes. The other signs are there to deter people from parking but don't actually prevent anything. So none of the spots are dedicated.

But remember that 5 or 6 of those stalls can be reached from either side. But I did notice that those were semi-prime parking and likely to be ICEd when I went.

Whats a dedicated sign say? Tesla Only? But if it says "Electric Vehicle Parking" and they're not an electric vehicle then what? I guess what I'm getting at is even the FAQ isn't clear because there are so many different variations of signage.

Whats a dedicated sign say? Tesla Only? But if it says "Electric Vehicle Parking" and they're not an electric vehicle then what? I guess what I'm getting at is even the FAQ isn't clear because there are so many different variations of signage.

Yeah key word is 'Only'. Otherwise the spot is signed for electric vehicles, but it doesn't prevent a non-electric vehicle from parking there. It just doesn't welcome them.

So you need electric vehicle/tesla "Only" or others will be "towed" or "prohibited".

I think the Hawthorne ones say 'active charging of electric vehicles only' or something similar.

Yeah key word is 'Only'. Otherwise the spot is signed for electric vehicles, but it doesn't prevent a non-electric vehicle from parking there. It just doesn't welcome them.

So you need electric vehicle/tesla "Only" or others will be "towed" or "prohibited".

I think the Hawthorne ones say 'active charging of electric vehicles only' or something similar.

Not sure why they allowed so many iterations of the sign.

Also there was a comment about being able to use the other side of these stalls. Well not when they look like this...Again, not the end of the world because there are a few openings, but that Lexus has been there for more than 4 hours based on the ealier pictures posted.

10384904_743332515690083_3296098031223270354_n.jpg

1512487_743332585690076_3667760423035153282_n.jpg

Who is the property manager? Maybe if Tesla owners context them that might help. Showing that you spend money at their stores while you charge too would help.

I am pretty sure that parking lot is managed by the city of Macon (not sure though). And it would be tough for them to give dedicated facilities to owners of expensive automobiles. Heck if I parked somewhere every day and someone put a piece of paper under my wipers I would move just out of annoyance!

Yeah that is a shame. Blink! made some messages you could leave under people's wipers. Perhaps peppering them will help some.
I find some of those condescending/aggressive enough that they'll cause more hate than they'll solve.

I'd like one that just says something like the last sentence in the last Blink one: "I needed to charge and couldn't. I don't park in front of gas pumps, please don't park in front of EV charge locations."

Has anyone actually been ICE'd there, meaning unable to charge because all the ports were blocked? I know we all get upset when we see an ICE parked at a supercharger, myself included, but this is Macon, GA (not California, or even I-95 on the east coast) so I don't think all 8 superchargers will be needed by Teslas anytime soon.

How about installing a sign with an icon of a tow truck, then writing something along the lines of

"If a non-electric vehicle is blocking these reserved spots, call 1-800-ICE-PICK for immediate action"

That would probably make it clear to even the most ignorant (or careless) ICE drivers, that they shouldn't park there.