Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslaccessories Caliper Covers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Check these out:
MGP Caliper Covers | Aftermarket Accessories for Tesla Model S

First of all, I applaud these guys for coming up with these options. It seems like a great, fairly simple way to get custom caliper colors. I'm sure there will be several Model S owners buying these. That said, I have to say that the giant Evannex logo kills it for me. I also wish they could have made the shape and size closer to the OEM part, but I would totally get these anyway if I could just have the Tesla logo on there or maybe even some custom graphic on there. I understand that maybe they maybe would not have permission to use the Tesla logo, but, anyway, I just don't like them with that Evannex logo.

very lame. having any logo on them other than TESLA is lame and very cheesy. totally ruins it.

- - - Updated - - -

honestly when it comes to calipers, either they enhance the OEM look or they just look like something cheesy you buy for $5 from pep boys.

Has anyone tried these? A number of similar ones are listed on EBay with prices from $18 to $45. They appear much more detailed than the offerings discussed here and at least have the Brembro logo. The sites claim they will fit a Model S. Of course they are plastic, secured with silicon and not metal with clip and bolt attachment.

Here's the shortened EBay URL.
http://tinyurl.com/mzt9zjv

Mods, if I may... this a product we just launched yesterday, might be helpful if I answer some of these questions....

Check these out:
MGP Caliper Covers | Aftermarket Accessories for Tesla Model S

First of all, I applaud these guys for coming up with these options. It seems like a great, fairly simple way to get custom caliper colors. I'm sure there will be several Model S owners buying these. That said, I have to say that the giant Evannex logo kills it for me. I also wish they could have made the shape and size closer to the OEM part, but I would totally get these anyway if I could just have the Tesla logo on there or maybe even some custom graphic on there. I understand that maybe they maybe would not have permission to use the Tesla logo, but, anyway, I just don't like them with that Evannex logo.

Thanks for the kudos, always looking for products that Model owners might like - we've gotten requests for this one. That said, if you'd prefer them without our logo, it's possible. Here's how: you can simply visit the page and under the "Color" drop-down menu, select "Custom Color" - after your order, we'll follow up with you to confirm what you'd like - if it's just the standard colors we offer with no logo, we can also credit $100 off your order as well. If it's a unique color, the $100 extra cost will still apply as it's a special, custom order (with or without the logo). After delivery, if you'd like to customize the Caliper Covers (paint, decals, whatever) that's up to you.

The MGP ones have MGP on them. I guess that there will need to be some kind of OEM agreement to get the Tesla logo. Or maybe you go to MGP direct and custom order ones without any logo.

Agreed JPP, MGP sells generic version with "MGP" on them. As @olanmills mentioned, permissions are necessary for OEM logo usage, and, although MGP is officially licensed by Ford, GM, Mopar, Shelby, and others, it does not have a license for Tesla logo.

Has anyone tried these? A number of similar ones are listed on EBay with prices from $18 to $45. They appear much more detailed than the offerings discussed here and at least have the Brembro logo. The sites claim they will fit a Model S. Of course they are plastic, secured with silicon and not metal with clip and bolt attachment.

Here's the shortened EBay URL.
http://tinyurl.com/mzt9zjv

I also saw that @yobigd20 referred to low-cost variations on this product as well, but, it's important to note that these versions are simply a different product altogether, the ebay-link (that you posted above) is for Plastic Caliper Covers (often secured with a glue). A few issues here: have the clearances been tested properly, where does the heat go, and when changing brake pads, removal is challenging. This low-cost option is addressed in our FAQ - included below:

WHY NOT INSTALL CUSTOM PLASTIC BRAKE COVERS?
Installing plastic covers on brake-calipers is discouraged by many in the industry. The reason: a brake system converts the forward motion of the vehicle into heat by pressing the brake-pads against the rotors, the plastic could melt causing your brakes to malfunction. In addition, be prepared to spend time trying to fabricate them to fit, often difficult installation and removal, and, not worth the hassle. And, post-installation, it can be difficult getting them to stay in place.

@KeithM - the patented attachment mechanism MGP uses (and their manufacturing process) is far different than low-cost versions. MGP Caliper Covers are made from lightweight 6061-T6 Aerospace Aluminum that is formed to the caliper for an optimal fit. MGP Caliper Covers are then powder coated for a long-lasting, beautiful look. The installation brackets are TIG welded in place for extra strength. Of course, you can hand-paint calipers or purchase low-cost plastic covers, but we chose a different product that we thought might appeal to Model S owners for it's unique benefits. Below is a video that showcases how MGP is manufactured:

Last edited by a moderator:
On this page, scroll down to the "Gallery" tab, for more images. Attached some below.

Before_no_wheel2.JPG
After.JPG
Front_profile_low.JPG

Attachments

• Front_profile_3.JPG
    Front_profile_3.JPG
    449.3 KB · Views: 874
My partner has a degree in industrial design and cringed when he saw this. The look is decidedly aftermarket and inexpensive. When viewed through the wheel spokes the fit appears to be quite bad and the grey brake caliper is still clearly visible. Not a fan.

Just a note about the product. I was talking with tesla about this product and they were concerned about how and after market caliper cover would work as the car has special (proprietary) digital brake bleading required for changing brakes and calipers etc! This means only tesla can properly change the breaks...

Also the brakes have a special venting mechanism that has to be intact

Turns out, when I showed them this product they said "wow, that's a really smart method of providing these with out the hassle otherways needed to replace them all together. "

So yes you could go plastic but might mean melting under bad venting...

Sure you could replace them all together, but need to find a way to safety bleed the lines...

Sure you could powder coat your own... Sounds viable but maybe exspensive??

Either way, I'm not a mechanic so am just sharing what I was told directly by tesla about these aftermarket ones...

They look cool to me... And nice to see someone after market products coming from evannex (obviously you can't just toss a tesla logo on something and it appears tesla is really really really cracking down on use of the logo and not even granting rights at the moment)

• Funny
Reactions: Biggus
Cool, Honda owners have cornered the market with Pep Boys brake caliper covers for way too long.... now you too can be as cool as a 16 year old in his Honda Civic with lamborghini doors and underbody neon

Where is the Lamborghini door conversion for the model S? :D

I suppose there's an irony here. A lot of other car owners without Brembo calipers try to put on caliper covers or other such things to make it look like they have real Brembos. We have the real thing and now we're going to cover them?