Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Study Shows More Automakers Are Choosing EVs Over Plug-in Hybrids and EREVS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dpeilow

May 23, 2008
Winchester, UK
Study Shows More Automakers Are Choosing EVs Over Plug-in Hybrids and EREVS - AllCarsElectric.com

According to the director of EV solutions at the California based company Aerovironment, full EVs currently in the development stages and expected to be ready for production within the next three years outnumber the plug-in hybrids and EREV expected to reach the market within the same time frame.

Aerovironment director Kristen Helsel said, "I though the majority would be plug-in, but by our numbers, 60% are full EVs vs. plug-ins."

I wonder which automakers they included in their study. Was it only the majors or did they include companies like Tesla, BYD, or even Zap?

The obvious truth is a pure EV is a heck of a lot easier to develop than an EREV. So if they're including companies that have no ICE technology to leverage, this result isn't a surprise at all.

Last edited:
Two different studies.

....full EVs currently in the development stages and expected to be ready for production within the next three years ..

Since they don't use the term "Major" to describe manufactures, I would think that small companies who need chargers would be included.