Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sagamore, MA (non-canonical thread)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bourne's Planning Board has a proposed site plan for a Tesla Supercharger off of Canal Rd on its agenda. It would be located behind Dunkin Donuts' parking lot.
The meeting is scheduled for 7:00pm June 12th at the Bourne Veteran's Memorial Community Building,
239 Main Street, Buzzards Bay.

Planning Board Site:
Town of Bourne Planning Department

Permit:
http://www.townofbourne.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=zSZuRYYKvAw%3d&tabid=162&mid=1864

Meeting Agenda:

http://www.townofbourne.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=WGdpU6v8kqM=&tabid=177&mid=1084

Last edited:
Bourne's Planning Board has a proposed site plan for a Tesla Supercharger off of Canal Rd on its agenda. It would be located behind Dunkin Donuts' parking lot.
The meeting is scheduled for 7:00pm June 12th at the Bourne Veteran's Memorial Community Building,
239 Main Street, Buzzards Bay.

Planning Board Site:
Town of Bourne Planning Department

Great location for weekends to the Cape, and what better icon as a location than Dunkin' Donuts!!!

I live in this area, could jog to it and I'm not terribly thrilled with the location. Would make much more sense being to the west.

I thought the junction for 195/25/495 in Wareham would have made most sense. This would be a centralized location for people going north, south, east, west, didn't matter. By putting that location so far east, it will only be used by people going certain parts of the cape. People going to Bourne (with the exception of those on that side of Bourne), Falmouth and Martha's Vineyard will not use it.

I think the reason they chose that area is because there is a McDonalds, Friendly's, Dunkin Donuts, Mary Lou's and sandwich shop in that general area. Chain food.

If Bourne wants a supercharger, I really think they should reconsider and put it behind the 278 Main Street Buzzards Bay Dunkin' Donuts. Close by to a great pizza shop, popular Italian restaurant, froyo, chineses food, local breakfast establishment, CVS and Honey Dew. There are a couple more food establishments and ice cream shops a little bit further down, half mile or so. Every driver would end up supporting the local economy instead of the fast food chains. While it only appears to be 5 miles or so away, this round trip can be about 90 minutes or more on the days of heaviest traffic in the summer.

The Main Street location would give coverage to all of the Cape and Islands and would also allow for those coming from the north and south; but not heading to the Cape, to charge without battling the traffic. It would also be more of a visible location for Tesla advertising.

I don't know the people that own these local places, I will rarely if ever charge my car there, just giving an honest opinion from someone who lives in the area and realizes the importance of putting them somewhere that is convenient to the most number of Tesla drivers possible.

Last edited:
MassX1317, it all depends on what they could negotiate and find a tesla friendly property owner. I'm sure they have 3 or 4 spots picked out, its the one that can be gotten approved by the local government, and constructed quickly, we'll be well into summer before it's completed, even if they rush it. I don't think 5 miles either way matters to most, and looks like you would top of their either arriving on RT3 or RT6, or when leaving the Cape. Are their better locations? probably. but perhaps this one can be "fast tracked", could be why it was chosen.

I would compare this location to the one I suggested to putting a supercharger in Weymouth instead of north Randolph.

Normally the trip from 25 to 3 isn't a big deal. On summer travel days you avoid making that trip like the plague. It's just a traffic nightmare. I'm sure you've hear about the both 25 and 3 backing up 3, 5, sometimes 7+ miles. Now imagine what the road is like that connects those two highways. Without traffic it's possible to use net negative energy if you navigate the hills a certain way! The location will be good for those who plan on going down to the mid and lower cape, so that's a good thing.

I hope having ting a supercharger makes Tesla more popular in this area! Mine is the only one I've seen on cape cod, although I know there are a few others.

On a positive note. At least they are finally starting to put up SCs in New England which has previously (and still is) a TM wasteland as far as superchargers. Also, it will allow summer travel from points south to the Cape. I grew up in Chelmsford/Lowell. I would put one at 495/3 junction in that area as it serves travel from Mass to NH and Maine.

Edit: ADD: or junction 495 and 93

Last edited:
This Sagamore location is great for people driving to the Cape on Rte 3 -- i.e., Boston, NH, ME. People coming from NY/CT can use the East Greenwich SC, which is only 80 miles from Falmouth and the MV ferry. Western MA and Vermonters going to the Cape will have to detour, but it's not really that far off the route (horrid traffic, true).

These issues would seem less severe if there was better destination charging on the Cape. If you've got a house rental, even 120v charging will probably be enough, but we should work to get hotels and town centers on target to install chargers. I wonder if there's going to be any positive movement on this point with the new 8-state accord?

This Sagamore location is great for people driving to the Cape on Rte 3 -- i.e., Boston, NH, ME. People coming from NY/CT can use the East Greenwich SC, which is only 80 miles from Falmouth and the MV ferry. Western MA and Vermonters going to the Cape will have to detour, but it's not really that far off the route (horrid traffic, true).

These issues would seem less severe if there was better destination charging on the Cape. If you've got a house rental, even 120v charging will probably be enough, but we should work to get hotels and town centers on target to install chargers. I wonder if there's going to be any positive movement on this point with the new 8-state accord?

If I'm coming from north of Boston I usually would take either 95/24/25/6 or 495/6. Much faster when you factor in traffic. When traffic is very heavy in the summer I will cut through Wareham to get to the Bourne Bridge and head down cape through the Mashpee/Falmouth area. If you are coming from Boston or somewhere between Boston and route 3, route 3 is probably the best bet. My thought was that by moving it to the other end of the Cape Cod Canal, it would be accessible to many more people during the busiest times of the year. In the slow months it's really only 10-15 minutes out of the way for those heading towards Falmouth and MV.

I drive by this location almost every day during the fall, winter and spring, but you won't find me anywhere near it in the summer!

I agree that destination charging is a huge issue in southeastern MA and Cape Cod. Hopefully the supercharger will spawn many more charging spots in the area.

I never thought when I bought my car that there would be a supercharger so close, but now that I own the car I realize how much more convenient it is just to charge in my garage.

My wife and her siblings own a cottage in Wellfleet that they rent out during the summer and there have been discussions of installing solar (probably won't happen - too many trees) and putting in a "dryer-style" outlet for electric car charging.

My wife and her siblings own a cottage in Wellfleet that they rent out during the summer and there have been discussions of installing solar (probably won't happen - too many trees) and putting in a "dryer-style" outlet for electric car charging.
If they're installing an outlet for electric car charging please explain they should install a NEMA 14-50 outlet. When people say "dryer style" they often mean 240V without understanding there are different options for 240V. If it's for an EV rather than an actual dryer they should put in 50A rather than 30A that dryers use.

If they're installing an outlet for electric car charging please explain they should install a NEMA 14-50 outlet. When people say "dryer style" they often mean 240V without understanding there are different options for 240V. If it's for an EV rather than an actual dryer they should put in 50A rather than 30A that dryers use.

The modern Range outlet or so-called, 50-Amp, RV outlet is a 14-50. The modern dryer outlet is a 14-30.

A 14-30 will work fine for overnight, destination charging, but a 14-50 is better. I agree that a 14-50 is the best, but if the panel will only support it, a 14-30 is far better than a normal, 120-Volt 5-15.