Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobileye 560

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this should be under the "Interior & Exterior" section or under" User Interface" section - I know that there have been old posts regarding the Mobileye 560, but was wondering if anybody had recent feedback/pics of this system installed in their car. I'm thinking about getting it, but really wanted comments that have done it to their car, or if they haven't, why not?

Thanks

I had this unit installed about a month ago. When I talked to another Model S owner with one and saw it demonstrated I was hooked. After having it for a month, at times I'm not so enamored with it.

Things I like are: Being able to change the settings via the phone app (iPhone for me); Headway Monitoring and Warning (distance is reported in seconds, which is very easy to understand); Urban Forward Collision Warning (you're getting too close to a vehicle ahead of you at a light); Lane Departure Warning; Intelligent High-Beam Control (I don't think about putting them on or off); Forward Collision Warning with the optional integrated cruise control cutoff (I can't think of what that specific option is called)

Things I don't like: The sound setting needs to allow for an even lower tone than "1"; Lane departure warning (sometimes you just gotta hug/cross the line without a blinker and I don't care for the tone warning); Intelligent High-Beam Control (brights on/brights off/brights on/... in a lighted urban area); Forward Collision Warning with the optional integrated cutoff (this cut the cruise or acceleration if you cross into the separation threshold. For urban driving I have reduced this to 0.3 seconds to avoid loosing my acceleration when making a tight or aggressive lane change. A few times I found myself in the middle of a lane change in traffic closing inside of the set distance/time and having the accretion cut leaving me without power. I had to adjust the setting and my driving behavior to account for the Mobileye).

I'm glad I have it, but I don't know if I would put it into another vehicle.

I would not call it adaptive cruise. If the distance between your car and the car ahead crosses below the set threshold, it will cancel your cruise or acceleration. With regen set to regular the braking effect occurs and you slow to avoid a collision. Of course the unit squawks at you as well.

Yes, definitely agree with you that the lowest "1" sound setting is still WAY TOO loud, especially with a sleeping child in the back of the car.

It's a great system, which we installed before the automatic cruise control cut-off box thing came out for it too. It's been great, though even with the lane departure sensitivity set to the lower of the two settings, it occasionally falses when on an on or off ramp in dim lighting and the lane marker disappears. That's when it's most likely to wake a child from the noise, but you quickly learn to compensate for that by using your blinkers at those times. That prevents the lane departure warning, since it thinks you're going to change lanes anyway. That being said, I actually miss it when driving a car without it.

Personally LOVE the Mobileye. Added it for safety not coolness.
It is as loud as it is supposed to be. It's saving your life!
Of course the loud beep could be replaced with viable options
like an extremely brief 220v jolt on the butt delivered by the seat?
Well, to tell the truth I added it for the cool factor too.