Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Subtle "clunk" from rear when accelerating from a stop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
Just in the past week I began to notice a subtle "clunk". I might even feel a little something, but that could be in my head. What I think it is is the new hill-hold/anti-roll back mechanism releasing the brake caliper. However, it only did this, previously, when I was on an incline and at risk for rolling back. Now it seems to do it even on flat surfaces which makes me question my diagnosis of it being the hill hold. Anyone else seeing/hearing/feeling this?

I had a creak happen when accelerating from stop. Open the windows to se if you hear it. It ended up being the drive axle to wheel hub connection making the noise and just required taking apart, cleaning and re-torqueing. It was coming from both sides at the rear.

That clunk-from-stop (not the big pack-disabling one) has been reported a few times in various threads. It generally merits a drivetrain swap. Tesla has a new motor mount that is supposed to fix this but there has been speculation it doesn't work all that well and it's still being worked on.

Efusco....do you notice this slight clunk between acel and decel? If so I'd stop by service sooner rather than later...not to alar you but I had the very same light clunk and I went to a sounders game..(soccer) left my car parked at service (free parking a block away from the game and off handed ly said I heard what your describing thought they'd tell me oh no biggie no worries and hand my key back to me...came back to my rear end in pieces and was handed a loaner...good news is that my car was given back the next day with a new drive train....

I don't get anything noticeable between acel and re-gen, but do "sense" something new when starting from a stop. Very subtle, but definitely new. I don't believe it's enough for me to concern Tesla Service with at this time, but good to know I'm not alone.

I have also noticed a new sound (just got warm enough to drive with the windows down recently).

In my case, it is a number of small clicks (from one to three) that reproducibly occur when the polarity of the inverter changes (when I let go of the accelerator into regen or start accelerating again).

I cannot hear anything when the windows are up, and can hear them best at low speed. I have noted no such noises when cruising.

I already have a service appointment on june 9th for a few minor issues (water ingress in the trunk hatch, side mirrors that will not fold manually), and have advised the SC of this. They said to "keep an ear on it", but that it should not prevent normal use of the vehicle.

I will post follow-up of what was found after I get the vehicle back.

Here's a video/audio of the sound:
New when accelerating from a stop in my Tesla Model S - YouTube

Contacted service. They're coming for the car on Tuesday, but initial impression was that the metallic sound was more suggestive of the parking caliper rather than the drive unit.

Evan, that definitely sounds unusual. What I can say is that I don't think it's gear slop. I wonder if a rock got caught somewhere next to the brake pads and is scraping each time the brakes move?

Do you hear it if the car's in drive, no brakes are applied (so creep off), and you just accelerate? Or does it only happen when brakes are releasing?

Nope. That's not what I'm getting. With me, there is no sound (but will now pay more attention) and it's like there's something momentarily holding the car back for a split second that quickly releases. Not like the frozen brakes after parking when wet, but something different.

It sounds different inside the car, more blunted/clunk-like than the 'tink'/'clink' you hear in the video. And I, too, have that very subtle sense that something's very slightly holding me back for a split second.

- - - Updated - - -

Evan, that definitely sounds unusual. What I can say is that I don't think it's gear slop. I wonder if a rock got caught somewhere next to the brake pads and is scraping each time the brakes move?

Do you hear it if the car's in drive, no brakes are applied (so creep off), and you just accelerate? Or does it only happen when brakes are releasing?
Only in the first couple inches of rollout from a stop...no other time. I don't think it's a rock or anything.

It really feels a lot like the hill-hold/anti-roll back when you're on an incline, but it does it all the time and more loudly.

I have also noticed a new sound (just got warm enough to drive with the windows down recently).

In my case, it is a number of small clicks (from one to three) that reproducibly occur when the polarity of the inverter changes (when I let go of the accelerator into regen or start accelerating again).

I cannot hear anything when the windows are up, and can hear them best at low speed. I have noted no such noises when cruising.

I already have a service appointment on june 9th for a few minor issues (water ingress in the trunk hatch, side mirrors that will not fold manually), and have advised the SC of this. They said to "keep an ear on it", but that it should not prevent normal use of the vehicle.

This is what I had. It got worse until it was what I call a creak but clicks describes it as well. Good thing is it is easily fixed.

well I just drove (actually my wife drove)1000 miles to Vegas and my wife was asking what that noise was. and my car was at Vegas service to get a new style frunk latch after my frunk wasn't opening all the way. Service didn't notice it but there is a sound like caliper release on accel and decel. leaving on Sunday for palm Springs for the night then back to Humboldt. lots of driving to do...
hmmm

I have had this for a while. Started around, maybe, Feb, barely noticeable. When I had it in the service center for the Dual Charger Retrofit, they said they tightened something on the rear end, and the sound did go away, for about 3 or 4 days. It is now May, and it is getting progressively worse. I will be calling the service center and making a appointment for that, and my Tank Mode retrofit, and to whine about the software's current limiting, as that is getting progressively worse, and happening at more and more places, even when it has not happened in the past.

But anyways, I get a audible cluck and you can feel it when accelerating and decelerating, and can reproduce even louder when going from F to R while still rolling.

I had a rough idea that it might be Gear Slack. As the gears in the differential can never be perfectly tight against each other, their is some minor slack between them. My thought was (as it progressively gets worse) that some excessive gear slack is getting worse and worse. Also, and finally, when I took the motor shield off last Friday when Installing my Eco Hitch, I noticed some minor oil residue around the differential. Not road grime (well, a bit, sand was stuck to it) but oily oil. So I am going to have them check that out anyways.

Exact same thing for me. CAN Sig 2009.