Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

>500km on a single charge at highway speeds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No problem. :) Well sorta. I had to go from Ancaster -> Peterborough and back yesterday. There are several 70A J1772's along the route but I didn't want to waste time charging so I hypermiled instead.

On the way there I averaged 153Wh/km traveling at highway speeds! I drafted when I could and put 51psi in the tires before I left. It was 19-29C outside on the way there and I ran without a/c as well. (It gets rather warm inside the car when it's 32C outside!)

most efficient trip.jpg

I did 156Wh/km on the way back so a head/tail wind wasn't much of a factor.

I did stop at a J1772 @ Best Western in Peterborough since I was a bit early but a guy approached me and gave me a hard time and told me it was an amenity for guests only. Not sure why they don't put up a sign saying so? I left instead of paying 5$ (+HST) as I was only plugged in 5 mins and was only planning to stay another 5. In my defense there was no one at the front desk to pay when I went inside.

I also stopped in at Oakville Yamaha as I wanted to know what decent charging options are available along the QEW. Looks like the CS-60 there is currently the best bet. (I noticed Budds Chevrolet dropped off plugshare and suncountryhighway maps. They had/have a CS-90 there, I inquired on their facebook page as to whats up)

As a final note, this is why we need Superchargers in Canada. :) The drive would have been nicer if I could have driven 120km/h and blasted the a/c.

I did stop at a J1772 @ Best Western in Peterborough since I was a bit early but a guy approached me and gave me a hard time and told me it was an amenity for guests only. Not sure why they don't put up a sign saying so? I left instead of paying 5$ (+HST) as I was only plugged in 5 mins and was only planning to stay another 5. In my defense there was no one at the front desk to pay when I went inside.

Curious, that's a change in policy. When I've been there before they were very nice about letting me charge. Quid pro quo was that I later stayed in the hotel when I had a one-day trip to Toronto.

Curious, that's a change in policy. When I've been there before they were very nice about letting me charge. Quid pro quo was that I later stayed in the hotel when I had a one-day trip to Toronto.

Yeah it kinda erased any goodwill I had towards them. Are the L2 chargers at most best westerns pay per use/for guests only? I was going to check out the one in Scarborough, but after my experience in Peterborough I decided not to bother.

Maybe he wasn't friendly because I didn't ask at the front desk first??? With the site on suncountryhighway and plugshare I figured it was ok...

Impossible to know for sure since the Model S doesn't say in the trip meters...

For a good chunk of the way there I followed a truck going ~108km/h. I did hit some traffic in the west end of Toronto. I'd guess about 100km/h.

perfect thanks, im going to edmonton and im going to try and hypermile my way there and back from calgary, i dunno though 600km maybe hard to get from a single charge

Yeah it kinda erased any goodwill I had towards them. Are the L2 chargers at most best westerns pay per use/for guests only? I was going to check out the one in Scarborough, but after my experience in Peterborough I decided not to bother.

Maybe he wasn't friendly because I didn't ask at the front desk first??? With the site on suncountryhighway and plugshare I figured it was ok...

I always ask, but usually after plugging in. The Best Westerns are franchises so every location is a little different on their policies. Most of the Best Westerns are free for use, but policies do vary. I've let the guys at Sun Country Highway know so they can update their charge map. They get a different color icon on the map and a note that they are a for-pay site.

All of the Best Western's that I have charged at have been great to deal with, even with transient charging...except the Peterborough one...it is difficult as this location does not have a restaurant to patronize...when I was up there last fall for a Sun Country event, the owner was a little "difficult" to deal with hence the $5 "donation" to use the charge station as a non-patron.

I don't think this guy's heart is 100% behind EV's.

If I was just passing by Peterborough, I would try to get back on the 401 and charge at the friendlier confines of the Cobourg, Belleville or Kingston Best Westerns...

Funny, when I met him before he seemed very friendly and receptive. He must have had a bad experience of some kind, like someone abusing the charger, or a lot of people stopping in without staying at the hotel. It's really too bad they don't have a restaurant.

I went to charge at the BW in Scarborough by Town Centre a couple of weeks ago. The guy at the front desk was rude when I asked to charge and mentioned it was for guests only. I charged anyway while I went down the street to the Keg for dinner. I have charged there a couple of times since but without going in to ask first.

I've charged at the Kingston BW 4 or 5 times and every time they have been very nice about it. Similar experience at the Peterborough and Cobourg BW locations. For Peterborough, I called ahead each time and they said they'd hold it, although if someone else had come along, I doubt they would really have turned them away. The only small resistance I got was that the Kingston BW said I could use it if available but they would only hold it for hotel guests, not restaurant guests, so now I don't call ahead for Kingston. I just go ahead and plug in, and let them know at the front desk that I'm charging and eating in the restaurant (and thank them for it).

I hope this goodwill towards EVs isn't changing, since these BW locations are our only half-decent option for the Ottawa-Toronto drive until the supercharger is online. Which can't come soon enough!

I've charged at the Kingston BW 4 or 5 times and every time they have been very nice about it. Similar experience at the Peterborough and Cobourg BW locations. For Peterborough, I called ahead each time and they said they'd hold it, although if someone else had come along, I doubt they would really have turned them away. The only small resistance I got was that the Kingston BW said I could use it if available but they would only hold it for hotel guests, not restaurant guests, so now I don't call ahead for Kingston. I just go ahead and plug in, and let them know at the front desk that I'm charging and eating in the restaurant (and thank them for it).

I hope this goodwill towards EVs isn't changing, since these BW locations are our only half-decent option for the Ottawa-Toronto drive until the supercharger is online. Which can't come soon enough!

You could always stop in Campbellford to use my HPWC!

On the way there I averaged 153Wh/km traveling at highway speeds! I drafted when I could and put 51psi in the tires before I left. It was 19-29C outside on the way there and I ran without a/c as well.
I did 156Wh/km on the way back so a head/tail wind wasn't much of a factor.

I may try with the tire pressure.. I can't seem to break the 170 Wh/km no matter how hard I try. I'm guessing it's the 21" over the 19" that is contributing to some of my extra Wh.. but I'm not sure about the rest. I haven't done a hyper mile test in good weather 2014 yet.

Anything I can do to see if there's an issue with extra travelling resistance. I wish there was a good baseline test we could run through the console.

Stay away from the Cobourg Best Western!
Twice I've been ICED over by a utility truck parked there and the not so nice attendant in the front desk didn't want to call the owner of the truck to move it.
I made it home with 2 km remaining. Make sure to have plenty of leftover range after topping off in Kingston at the BW Fireside. Great place. Good restaurant and fireplaces in every room. Never had an issue there.
I told Sun country to move their charger away from the Cobourg BW but I doubt they will. If anything, they should move it to the front of the building so those idiot utility people can't park there.

- - - Updated - - -

Unfortunately, we will all have to depend on BW (sans Cobourg) for as long as we have the Teslas as SChargers won't be coming to Canada.
You can blame the Harper government for this.

I may try with the tire pressure.. I can't seem to break the 170 Wh/km no matter how hard I try. I'm guessing it's the 21" over the 19" that is contributing to some of my extra Wh.. but I'm not sure about the rest. I haven't done a hyper mile test in good weather 2014 yet.

Anything I can do to see if there's an issue with extra travelling resistance. I wish there was a good baseline test we could run through the console.

mnx also got very light wheels. I'm not sure if that plays a significant role.