Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Travel through Niagara Falls/Fort Erie/Buffalo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be travelling through Niagara Falls/Fort Erie/Buffalo to onward destinations such as Pittsburgh (I-90 W), Rochester (I-90 E), etc.

Since the nearest Supercharger is out-of-range from Toronto, I will have to charge at either at Niagara Falls or Fort Erie or Buffalo before proceeding.

Can anyone offer any suggestions - especially any high power charger in the area?

I have looked at the Sun Country Highway and other charging sites. But am looking at some practical experience from my fellow MS owners. :wink:

I would use the CS 90's on the Sun Country map in Niagara Falls...plenty of places to stop and stay / eat / shop / sight see whilst charging.

If you are taking a leisurely trip, you could stop at the Sun Country charge station at the Old Fort, in Fort Erie...take the tour of the Fort, as the charge station there is just 40 amps and you will have some time to kill...

I would use the CS 90's on the Sun Country map in Niagara Falls...plenty of places to stop and stay / eat / shop / sight see whilst charging.

If you are taking a leisurely trip, you could stop at the Sun Country charge station at the Old Fort, in Fort Erie...take the tour of the Fort, as the charge station there is just 40 amps and you will have some time to kill...

Until Superchargers support this route, I agree completely. To optimize your time on these chargers, do a 100% charge before you leave Toronto, at Niagara, charge on the CS-90 until your charge current drops below 40 Amps. At that point, it's faster to charge in Erie where you can get 40 Amps of charger current. Stop at Erie and add as many rated miles as you think you need for comfort to make it to the Cranberry Supercharger. I use EV Trip Planner and have found it very accurate. Add a little margin to it's prediction (I use 10%-25% depending on comfort, wind, weather, etc), and you should be fine.

Start a little slower, only speed up when you know you will make it, and leave 6 rated miles per 1,000 feet in reserve if there is a climb to your destination.

Enjoy!

We got our Raven Model X last August 30, 2019 and we drove it to Mississauga Toronto from Pittsburgh and we charged once in Erie on the way to Toronto. Going back we charged twice, about half hour in Toronto in a SC along Queen Elizabeth Hiway, then again in Erie for another half hour back to Pittsburgh.

We got our Raven Model X last August 30, 2019 and we drove it to Mississauga Toronto from Pittsburgh and we charged once in Erie on the way to Toronto. Going back we charged twice, about half hour in Toronto in a SC along Queen Elizabeth Hiway, then again in Erie for another half hour back to Pittsburgh.

L2 supercharger in Stoney Creek is on the QEW. Can top up there & easily get to Erie PA.

Isn’t the obvious answer the existing Buffalo SC? A short stop there should be more than enough.

And Toronto to Rochester is 272 km which should be doable without charging. And if you are going through Rochester to points farther away then stop at the Rochester SC which is doable from Toronto. Or no matter where you are going stop at Grimsby SC for 10 minutes while you grab a coffee at Timmies. That will easily get you to wherever you are going.

Why bother with L2 charging? In my experience L2 charging can be slow and unreliable as the chargers won’t work or you have to futz around downloading an app and setting it up.