Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PAST EVENT: Meet-up & Road Trip from Florida House to Historic Green Village

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Larry Chanin

President, Florida Tesla Enthusiasts
Aug 22, 2011
Sarasota, Florida
We are in the early planning stages of a club meet-up and road trip from Florida House in Sarasota to the Historic Green Village in Anna Maria Island.

The plan is to have this event on a Saturday or Sunday in November to be able to accommodate our club members that are snowbirds. We would meet-up at the Florida House in the morning around 9:00 am. There we would have breakfast and the staff would provide a presentation discussing the purpose and features of the Florida House.

After spending roughly two hours we would line up all the Teslas into a caravan and take a leisurely and scenic drive up Longboat Key to the Historic Green Village. The distance is only about 30 miles, but it should take about an hour to drive.

When we arrive at the Village (at around noon) we would have access to restrooms drinks and snacks followed by a tour of the Village campus. After that we will have made prior arrangements with a local restaurant for lunch say at around 1:30 pm. The Sandbar restaurant comes to mind as a potential location. The Waterfront restaurant might be a consideration too, but it might not be large enough if we have a large turnout.

This is intended to be an all-day event. However, we will publish the schedule of events so club members will have the option of joining us just for breakfast, or just for lunch, or just for the drive, etc. We will be sending out an email invitation in which club members will be asked to RSVP to whichever activities that interest them.

Below is the planned route.

Florida House to Historic Green Village.jpg

With regard to charging, the Florida house has two 30amp free ChargePoint chargers and I have made arrangements for them to receive a High Power Wall Connector from Tesla. It will be available for this event.

There is one 30 amp free ChargePoint charger at the Historic Green Village. Another charger on Anna Maria Island is located at the Island Shopping Center.

Mote Marine is located along the route and it has two chargers. One is a ChargePoint and the other is a High Power Wall Connector.

Saint Armand’s Circle is on the route. Two 30 amp Clipper Creek chargers are located at the Fillmore Parking lot.

Those are the highlights of available charging; there are several more chargers near the route. Checking plugshare is advised, but we will prepare a map with the charging locations. Local Sarasota club members will also be offering their home chargers if needed. Arrangements will need to be made in advance for charging at club member’s homes.

While we are in the preliminary planning stage I would like to receive your feedback as to whether you are interested in attending this event, and if so all of it or just part of it? It would be useful to have a public discussion here, but if you would prefer, please feel free to contact me directly at [email protected] with your response.

We welcome any suggestions that you might have.

If you are not a club member, but would like to become one, please click on the link in my signature.

Regards,

Larry

Here’s some background information regarding the starting point and end point of our event:

FLORIDA HOUSE – starting point
Florida House was founded in 1992 to provide Florida residents with a model for best practices in water conservation and eco-friendly construction. As the first green building demonstration house in the U.S. open to the public, Florida House changed the way we thought about construction and helped catalyze the green building industry. Florida House is now being reborn with a new name—Florida House Institute—and three dynamic new programs: a demonstration house and yard for consumers and the community, a high-tech meeting space, and a think tank to solve issues affecting the region.

Here is a link to the Florida House Institute website.

HISTORIC GREEN VILLAGE – end point
The ‘greeness’ of the HGV is unparalleled anywhere else in the USA and it is this aspect that makes it truly unique. By bringing together history and technology, we have tried to mingle the charm and roots of our buildings with the great American sense of optimism and energy that we, as British residents so admire. […]
The HGV is one of ONLY 100 PLACES WORLDWIDE to have achieved the highest possible green building standard – Platinum LEED – PLUS at the same time Net Zero Energy, for the first 18 months of operation – an amazing achievement. This happened because we planned how to make the buildings and infrastructure work well together to maximize the resources that Florida has on offer – a beautiful natural environment, sunshine, rainwater above us and groundwater 450′ below us.

Here is a link to the Historic Green Village website.

Last edited:
Larry,

It sounds like a great day. Kim and I will be looking forward to the drive. We will come up the night before and stay at a Hotel with EV charging or a EV charger close by.

Always stop at AMI Outfitters to charge when we visit Anna Marie Island. Planning on attending the entire event.

Thanks,

Roland

Larry,

It sounds like a great day. Kim and I will be looking forward to the drive. We will come up the night before and stay at a Hotel with EV charging or a EV charger close by.

Always stop at AMI Outfitters to charge when we visit Anna Marie Island. Planning on attending the entire event.

Thanks,

Roland

Hi Roland,

I look forward to seeing you and Kim.

Sarasota currently has one hotel with chargers.

Hampton Inn & Suites Sarasota / Bradenton

Plugshare reference: http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/5290

Larry

I live off Bee Ridge and would like to attend.

Hi,

Congratulations on your recent delivery and welcome to the forums.

I look forward to meeting a fellow Sarasotan.

Please click on the link in my signature that will take you to our sign-up page. There you will find a link to an on-line survey. If you are interested in joining our club, please complete the on-line survey.

Regards,

Larry

FYI, the HPWC at Mote was maxing at 48a/240v today.

Hi Garrett,

Thanks, but I think that you'll find that the voltage is usually closer to 200 volts. The last time I charged there it was charging at only 24 mph (47 amps at 201 volts).

Club members planning on using this HPWC should not expect charging anywhere near the rated 60 mph.

Larry

It's tough to commit to something that far in the future, but Brad and I would be interested in the whole thing.

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the response.

Right now we're not looking for a commitment. We're just looking to guage the general level of interest. Later we will be sending out invitations with RSVPs. At that point we'll be looking for a firm commitment.

Larry