Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

looking at a used Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First off...I want a Models S

I want to try and save some money versus new

I have found two used 2013

Both 85w

one is 10,000 more then the other...it has the tech package and 8 years of pre paid service

the other no tech package... or service

both have the same mileage

i have read posts on pros and cons of the tech package

but i wanted to know what you all think

can you add options at a later date like the tech package

what would the cons be to getting the car without the tech package

I drive 37 miles in my commute daily and take extended trips monthly to vegas and San Diego

And want to do a cross country trip without gas before my time is up.....thus the 85 kw model

The other negative is the car with the service is being sold my a broker and not the orig owner so I dont know if the plan is transferable

looking forward to your input

is the service transferable...i read somewhere that if I buy through a broker and not the orig owner its not....

Also noticed on the one that has the tech package the headlights are yellow...compared to the DRL....is that normal...I thought that with the tech package your got an upgraded headlamp assembly

the service is for 8 years

price is now 16 k different

67k versus 83k with tech

its a tough call regarding money....

One thing you may want to check on is what exactly the tech package includes on those specific 2013 models...I know what is and is not included with the tech package has changed several times since the initial release of the car and may be different than what the website currently lists. This goes for the non tech car too. My car is non tech but includes LED DRLs, lighted door handles, auto dimming side mirrors and interior premium lighting which are all tech/separate features now I believe. I also have air suspension which requires tech on new cars. The only thing I missed at the time was navigation, but I wasn't going to pay $3500 just for that...my phone Nav works just fine.

Last edited:
The tech package makes the car a viable Premium automobile.
Just too many cool features.

You might check with Tesla to confirm if the 8 year pre-paid service is transferable.

Good luck with your decision, or maybe wait until a better deal crosses your become available.

I've bought two Model S's now. The pre-paid service stays with the car, not the owner.
After you prove to ownership that you bought the used MS, they will update your My Tesla profile for the existing car. And if it has the service, it will then show up under your My Tesla profile.
Again, I say the pre-paid service stays with the car. Passes from owner to owner to owner - stays with the car.

is the service transferable...i read somewhere that if I buy through a broker and not the orig owner its not....
Also noticed on the one that has the tech package the headlights are yellow...compared to the DRL....is that normal...I thought that with the tech package your got an upgraded headlamp assembly
the service is for 8 years
price is now 16 k different
67k versus 83k with tech
its a tough call regarding money....
I see nothing in the tech package worth 16 grand. Spend your money on something worthwhile.

At today's used prices, I always wonder who would buy such things?

While the prepaid service costs X ($3800?), it really isn't worth X to a value shopper IMO.

Buy a new 85 with just the tech package. At $75k after tax incentive, it seems like the best deal.

Well after weighing in both sides...I reached an agreement to purchase the Model S without the Tech package
It really has everything I need
I plan on changing the 19 inch Rims out for those new aftermarket 19 inch rims in the 21 inch style offered in the classified section
and with that look forward to driving the car back from the state of Washington to Southern California
I spoke with Tesla on how to switch everything over from old owner to new owner
I plan on stoping at the factory since its on the way....and using superchargers and not gas pumps.....im so stoked
Tesla says no to the software add on for getting Nav for 1k...i also called my local service center ..they have not heard of it....
for pre paid service....after its switched over to the new owner there is a 100.0 service charge to activate this on the new owners account
new owners account takes 1 week after all papers are sent in to Tesla to switch over and be able to use the ap

I appreciated all the input...it made me look at everything from all angles and i believe I have all I need and made the best decision for me to get in a Tesla
from a money perspective as well as getting most if not all the options I need

Again thanks to all...Im on cloud Tesla.....Im an owner....woo hoo..show me the fob...

Hi guys this is Peter in New Zealand with some questions pertaining specifically to someone whom purchased of a second hand Model 'S' from someone in Texas and had it exported to Germany. The vehicle has some 'panel damage' to the passenger side but otherwise sound !

My understanding from talking to him in Germany is that Tesla Motors (has big reservations) to support the vehicle locally in Germany and to be diplomatic made life a bit complicated to get it repaired.

Tesla are currently not "willing" to support the USA model S versions in Europe. The EU model S is in some facets is a different car ... The Tesla guys in USA had shut down the battery pack for security reasons, and to unlock it will require a code from them.

Does anyone have some ideas how his problem within Germany can be solved without major cost and what is a similar situation in the USA. Can a Tesla be purchased in any USA state and then moved to any other state and still receive all the standard service requirements without any hearteache

Regards, Peter