Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solution to constantly rolling down the right rear window with wayward legs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

redi

2013 P85+
Aug 31, 2013
DFW, TX
I like my MS, but for almost a year I have been aggravated by the window control location and the near-daily inadvertent triggering of the RR window switch with my leg. The back seat passengers are not amused in bad weather and neither am I. You have to have the right length leg for this and yes, my foot is on the dead pedal and it still happens to me all the time.

Franky I would like to see a something in the UI to disable the window rear switches but I think we'll see a switch location redesign before we'd see that (and I think the liklihood of either is nil).

The solution for me:

Amazon.com : Radians Custom Molded Earplugs, Blue : Molded Ear Plugs : Sports Outdoors

photo 1.JPG

I think $10-$12 on Amazon. You only need half so split the rest with a buddy :)

Two part silicone putty, knead half of each together until uniform, then push into the RR switch gap. The stuff is not sticky or runny at all.

photo 2.PNG

Wait about 10 minutes and you can pop the little silicone plug in and out easily. I suppose you could put the little cord on the plug too if you wanted to, it's included in the kit along with a little bag.

photo 3.JPG

I know it is sort of a poor-man's fix but it solved the problem for me 100% for next to nothing and 1 minute of time and 10 minutes of waiting for it to cure.

Maybe put a Tesla logo on it and sell it on one of the Tesla goodie sites for $40+$10 shipping? :)

Or do it yourself for $6.

Hope this helps someone else.

Nice DIY solution. Maybe black would look a little more inconspicuous. And I totally believe you that this is happening, but I'm having a hard time visualizing how. Of course I'm a small dude, so my leg never comes close to being able to hit that switch (not assuming you are a big dude or anything by the way).

Nice DIY solution. Maybe black would look a little more inconspicuous. And I totally believe you that this is happening, but I'm having a hard time visualizing how. Of course I'm a small dude, so my leg never comes close to being able to hit that switch (not assuming you are a big dude or anything by the way).

If your leg isn't fully extended with foot against the dead pedal, you hit the switch often. It used to happen to me a lot. Now I've formed the habit of placing my heel up against the seat, instead of half way between the seat and the dead pedal, or else leg fully extended so it seldom happens anymore.

Took this shot for you today #throughglass

View attachment 50845

(Would be nice if they followed Mercedes design on the doors as well as the steering column...)

What's the blue thing in the door handle? I suppose that's the closest thing to a door pocket if you're trying to store something.

<rant on>I wish Mercedes would have continued to follow their own design, too, by keeping the window switches in the center console where they are supposed to be. And second, I've found these "pull up/push down" window switches that are found on virtually every car nowadays to be so annoying--it just doesn't compute to me to have to pull a switch up like that. Every switch I can think of that I've experienced is a rocker or a toggle</rant off>

Sorry for that, the whole window switch thing drives me crazy. But I haven't experienced the RR window down with my knee yet and I frequently position my leg that way. :/ Thanks for this tip!

-m

Chap stick.

Yep, not enough storage. Needs a better water bottle solution.

You are the man (spreader)!! :biggrin: No, seriously, thanks! I've been keeping my lip balm in my sunglasses case with the glasses, it's kinda crowded. I might put a little fabric coozie around the lip balm so it doesn't rattle around/leak onto the door *rifles through fabric stash...*