Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nürburgring lap time for P85+?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When are we going to see a Nürburgring lap time for the P85+? Its already spring/summer season with plenty of opportunities to set a time now that Model S are being delivered in Europe. I'm surprised that a magazine like Sport Auto or even Tesla themselves have not set a time. I also have not even seen any individuals uploading lap footage to YouTube. What's the deal?

I'm going to be there July 2-3 for the private track days with Destination Nürburgring. Flying in and renting a prepped car. Anyone else doing the ring this summer?

When are we going to see a Nürburgring lap time for the P85+?

I agree with the other poster that there's no way the Model S could make it around even one lap without going into limp mode. Maybe if someone stripped one down and added additional active cooling but even then I'm guessing it will run into issues. This doesn't bother me in the slightest given it is a near perfect street car.

I'm going to be there July 2-3 for the private track days with Destination Nürburgring. Flying in and renting a prepped car. Anyone else doing the ring this summer?

My most recent trip was last summer and I drove a BMW Z4 3.0 from rentracecar.de - what are you renting? I have a 1995 BMW M3 3.0 track car in the US so I picked the Z4 3.0 to have a similar power feel. I think next time I'm going to look for something with a little more oomph, to make up for my mistakes. :)

PM me if you want to exchange track videos.

And doesn't the Nurburgring involve a lot of high speed sections? I know the R8 had to have its top speed raised to 155mph to run a decent time. So the Model S would have be geared differently to be able to run a good time.

I agree with the other poster that there's no way the Model S could make it around even one lap without going into limp mode. Maybe if someone stripped one down and added additional active cooling but even then I'm guessing it will run into issues. This doesn't bother me in the slightest given it is a near perfect street car.

My most recent trip was last summer and I drove a BMW Z4 3.0 from rentracecar.de - what are you renting? I have a 1995 BMW M3 3.0 track car in the US so I picked the Z4 3.0 to have a similar power feel. I think next time I'm going to look for something with a little more oomph, to make up for my mistakes. :)

PM me if you want to exchange track videos.

That's a bummer. I've heard restricted power is an issue after 4-6 laps on other tracks so I hoped that they had developed for at least one ring lap since its a standard measure of performance cars. Hopefully if Tesla is going after the German market they will make tweeks to make a lap possible. This would also make public days possible because its easy to let the car cool after each time you come in for the lap.

It looks like I'm going to have an 125i this time. My track car in the U.S. is also a '95 M3 but set up with a 3.2 S52 with cams etc.. Its a great track car and constantly reminds me how modern cars have lost steering feel. I had not noticed that rentcarecar has a Z4 3.0. That's an interesting option. Over the years I've had everything from old Alfa 75s and E30 318is to recently E46 M3, Exige Cup and GT3. I actually really like the light, lower powered, understated, momentum cars on the ring. Its especially fun when you can use one to harass some much faster machinery :)

- - - Updated - - -

And doesn't the Nurburgring involve a lot of high speed sections? I know the R8 had to have its top speed raised to 155mph to run a decent time. So the Model S would have be geared differently to be able to run a good time.

Even a Bridge to Gantry lap time (eliminating the one mile main straight) would give an idea of the performance.

I think it would be fascinating to compare lap times for the S85 and P85. People on here say the P85 does 1 lap of most tracks then limits power while the s85 can do ~4 laps. My only track experience is with the P85 however.

So whats faster around a long circuit like the Nurburgring S85 or P85??? I wouldn't be shocked to learn the S85 has a faster time...

Awesome! BTW, I think it would be possible with a little planning ahead of time to get someone consistently quick like Sabine or even Dale from Bridge to Gantry or Ron from RSR to do a fast lap. BTG and RSR posts video on YouTube so maybe they would be into an exclusive video.

A friend of mine is going to the Nurburgring with his red P85+ next week. Once he does the lap (I think he planned to do it on 11th) I'll let you guys know :)

Sabine Schmitz rocks. Really interested in what she could do on the Ring with a Model S, Performance, Performance Plus or not.
Tesla Motors should pay her to show boat a Model S on the Nordschleife. I'll supply the Tesla Model S P+.
(Sorry Leilani, you're Plan B on this one.)

Yes, it seems like a pretty obvious PR move for Tesla to compete with other high-performance sedans, if the car can actually do a lap.

Sabine Schmitz rocks. Really interested in what she could do on the Ring with a Model S, Performance, Performance Plus or not.
Tesla Motors should pay her to show boat a Model S on the Nordschleife. I'll supply the Tesla Model S P+.
(Sorry Leilani, you're Plan B on this one.)

I ran Circuit Park Zandvoort today. S85. Power limits to ~160kW after 3/4 lap, which was the out lap, so the hot lap I was limited in power all the way.

Handling is quite OK for such a heavy car, neutral. The 19in M+S tires are not made for racing but did ok.

The brakes are very good.

Lap time 2m21s.

PS I limited myself to outlap, hotlap, inlap, knowing performance would only get worse. You could improve by going slow until the 2nd to last corner in the out lap, postponing the power limit.