Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC Charge handle temperature @ 80 amps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't remember the handle getting quite so hot as the last few times I've charged @80 amps. Is 141 F normal? The cable near the charger was ~119 F.
Tesla Model S HPWC @80 amps charging connector temperature measurement - 141 F - YouTube
I replaced my handle and cable about 6 months ago because the handle was getting too hot to touch. Not exactly sure of the temperature, but it was considerably hotter than the cable. The new handle also gets very warm, but about the same temperature as the cable and it definitely can be handled. Tesla exchanged the old cable/handle with a new one for me which I installed. Unfortunately, the new handle did not open the charge port door consistently. Tesla sent out an electrician and replaced the handle/cord again. So far the handle is not too hot.

What alerted me that the handle was too hot, was that I have another HPWC at my mountain home, which did not overheat, even when running for 4+ hours at 80A.

I also wanted to point out that now that it’s getting close to 100º here in Tucson, my garage temperature has been going up (85º) and consequently both the cable and handle feel hotter than they did in the winter. I should really measure the temperature, but I always forget to do that since the cable/handle seem to get hot when charging at 80A for over ½ hour and by that time I’m no longer in the garage.

Mine was replaced once for that same symptom, it was nearly untouchable after a half-hour of charging at 80A. It's starting to warm up again during 80A charging. It's not a big deal because it's rare when I have to interrupt it while charging, but still concerning nonetheless. They might need to issue contact cleaning kits.

Evan, what was the resolution to this? I just measured the temperature on mine and I got a peak reading of 177 F. I had never really gone to unplug it while it had been charging for a while (in this case for about an hour). Is this normal or should I look to get it replaced? Seems pretty hot to me.

Evan, what was the resolution to this? I just measured the temperature on mine and I got a peak reading of 177 F. I had never really gone to unplug it while it had been charging for a while (in this case for about an hour). Is this normal or should I look to get it replaced? Seems pretty hot to me.

They sent me a replacement HPWC and paid to have the new one installed/replace the old one.

(LMB spouse)

Human temperature threshold of pain is around 130F / 55C. This is the point at which something goes from feeling hot to hurting, useful for estimating the approximate temperature of objects in that general range. There are lots of second-order effects which modify this somewhat, but it's a good first approximation.

Got my cable replaced today and it's much better. After charging for about 45 minutes (and with an ambient temperature around 96 degrees) the handle and cable were most certainly still warm, but measurements were all below 120 - mostly around 110 F.

Got my cable replaced today and it's much better. After charging for about 45 minutes (and with an ambient temperature around 96 degrees) the handle and cable were most certainly still warm, but measurements were all below 120 - mostly around 110 F.
Thanks for the measurements. It seems that my HPWC handle has been feeling hotter lately, so I just got an IR thermometer. After 45 min at 80A in an 85 F ambient, it measures 150 F at it's warmest spot, which is where the flexible cable meets the handle. Since I don't have previous measurements, I'm not sure what "normal" is/was. Do any other folks have any temperature measurements to help determine what "normal" is?

Thanks for the measurements. It seems that my HPWC handle has been feeling hotter lately, so I just got an IR thermometer. After 45 min at 80A in an 85 F ambient, it measures 150 F at it's warmest spot, which is where the flexible cable meets the handle. Since I don't have previous measurements, I'm not sure what "normal" is/was. Do any other folks have any temperature measurements to help determine what "normal" is?

That is exactly the spot where I was getting my highest readings before the replacement. I think you should call your service center and let them know the temperature. I suspect they will volunteer to come out and replace it.

That is exactly the spot where I was getting my highest readings before the replacement. I think you should call your service center and let them know the temperature. I suspect they will volunteer to come out and replace it.
Thanks. Am I correct that your hot spot (cable/handle junction) runs less than 25F above ambient after 45 min at 80A with natural convection cooling? (Mine runs 65F above ambient)

Next time I charge I will measure again and give you an exact number but that sounds about right.

I've had my HPWC replaced twice now, due to hot handle (140+). The first time it was replaced, it went down to tolerable (~115) for a while, and then back up in the 140 range again after a few months. With the current replacement, it's sitting around 123, which is considered "normal" by my SC.

I've had my HPWC replaced twice now, due to hot handle (140+). The first time it was replaced, it went down to tolerable (~115) for a while, and then back up in the 140 range again after a few months. With the current replacement, it's sitting around 123, which is considered "normal" by my SC.
Thanks. That's helpful to know. I assume those temps are with about an 85 ambient temp?

I wonder what degrades in the handle that would make it hot? (mine is 5 months old). I didn't measure my handle temp previously, but I recall it only felt warm. Now its clearly too hot to touch.

Did Tesla replace your whole HPWC or just your cable assembly (like they did for pgiralt)?

Thanks. That's helpful to know. I assume those temps are with about an 85 ambient temp?

I wonder what degrades in the handle that would make it hot? (mine is 5 months old). I didn't measure my handle temp previously, but I recall it only felt warm. Now its clearly too hot to touch.

Did Tesla replace your whole HPWC or just your cable assembly (like they did for pgiralt)?

The whole thing. In addition to replacing the whole thing twice, they tried replacing the cable once, with no effect. And yes, since we live around the corner from each other, you guessed correctly about the ambient temps! :)

The whole thing. In addition to replacing the whole thing twice, they tried replacing the cable once, with no effect. And yes, since we live around the corner from each other, you guessed correctly about the ambient temps! :)
Amazing - My leap-of-faith assumption of your garage ambient temp was dead-on.:smile:

I decided to hold off reporting my hot handle to the SC until after we return from vacation. However, I plan to leave the HPWC on my MS, set to 10 amps and 50% to maintain the battery. Since it only gets hot with high current, I'm assuming that should work OK (Another leap-of-faith assumption, but I'm on a roll).:smile:

Separate from your hot handle problems, have any of your defective HPWCs ever failed to charge your car?