Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Dayton, OH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I permit has been filed with Dayton, OH for a Supercharger near a Meijer at 9200 N Main St, Dayton, OH 45445.

Hopefully we have some members in the area once this location begins construction.

It sure looks like a pattern developing with Tesla creating another E-W Supercharger route across the middle of the country on I-70 with Triadelphia and Dayton in the east and Limon, Goodland, and Hays in the west.

Even though this site is off I-70, it's in close proximity to I-75 and arguably a more important route. Along with Chattanooga, these sites were originally on the 2015 map but now it's looking like the I-75 route has been pushed forward to this year. It's big for anyone traveling between the Midwest and Florida.

Also, this is the second Ohio site located in a Meijer parking lot, so Tesla may potentially have a partnership for future Midwest locations. They would be the first place I'd check in future cities. Having a store open 24 hours with a wide variety of food and merchandise makes for convenient pit stop locations.

Even though this site is off I-70, it's in close proximity to I-75 and arguably a more important route. Along with Chattanooga, these sites were originally on the 2015 map but now it's looking like the I-75 route has been pushed forward to this year. It's big for anyone traveling between the Midwest and Florida.

Also, this is the second Ohio site located in a Meijer parking lot, so Tesla may potentially have a partnership for future Midwest locations. They would be the first place I'd check in future cities. Having a store open 24 hours with a wide variety of food and merchandise makes for convenient pit stop locations.

Tesla has a relationship with Meijer. Tesla will be installing super chargers at more Meijer locations.

No Meijers in Cambridge, OH, but plenty in Columbus. I wonder if that dot moves West to cover I-71 instead of I-77, and happens sooner than 2015.

Tesla has gone back and forth with a Columbus location. It's not currently in the 2014/2015 plan. The reasoning makes sense. It's approximately 70 miles East / West across Ohio. And from Toledo to Dayton is approximately 150 miles. So, Columbus is unnecessary from a long distance travel standpoint. For every other reason (marketing / visibility / OSU, etc.), Columbus makes sense.

I find another useful way to envision the coverage is not by the somewhat misleading circle-radii as shown on Tesla's map, but by the way they originally showed European coverage, which was just to color in the highways. If we assume Tesla's goal is to cover most or all interstates by 2015, then an obvious strategy to maximize coverage is to target the intersections of the interstates. That much is glaringly obvious in the current rollout. But I think we can also use it to predict where *else* we will see supercharger sites that currently do not appear as dots on the map. In many such cases, the site will not be needed for E/W travel based on distance, but will be useful for N/S. Columbus is a perfect example of this. Ultimately having oversaturation on E/W route will be beneficial as well.

For someone going north on 75, this would be 20 minute (10 each way), 14 mile round trip detour. Not terrible, I was hoping for something right at the intersection of 75 and 70, but this will be workable. It's 141 miles to Maumee along I-75 from this location, should be easily doable, even in a 60. This location would also be within 60 range of both the Louisville and Lexington dots on the map (in both cases, I would put the SC on the north side of town, as the south side would be pushing a 60 to the limit)

I just visited the site. No sign of construction yet. It is right off I-70. There is a new Chipolte, right next to the Meijer gas station. The Meijer is very large, and includes a small cafe. It's a great place to pickup trip essentials. Thanks Meijer, we look forward to bringing this Supercharger online!

The Englewood exit is 3 minutes from my home. I go by that location at least weekly. Once construction begins, I will chat with the Supercharger folks and definately supply them with some goodies to eat. I will take care of the pictures. We got this dot very early in the approval cycle because someone in the city management knew I had the only Model S in our town. He personally stopped by my house to share the exciting news. So far, no Tesla equipment or digging has started at this location. I agree with everyone else this is both a strategic route for East - West and North - South as the Supercharger is only 6 miles from I75.

The story I was told is that a VP in Meijers purchased a Model S. After receiving the car, they offered locations to Tesla to help expand the supercharger routes because the loved the car. With the number of Meijers in the Midwest this could be a huge development bypassing some of the time required to secure locations.

The Englewood exit offers several choices for food including Chipotle, Meijers, Steak-N-Shake, McDonald's and Waffle House (the latter two are across the street). A further walk would be a Bob Evan's, Frisch's and Perkins. The closest location is Chipotle within a few hundred feet. Steak-N-Shake is about a 1/2 mile walk within the same parking lot and is open 24 hours.

Send me a personal message if your in the area and would enjoy talking Tesla. I've worn out all the people in my immediate area!

Last edited: