Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Norway - Wow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just coming back to the US from Norway on a business trip. Maybe those who live in California are more used to it, but I was shocked at the number of Teslas I ran into, especially in Oslo. On the taxi from Oslo airport to the city, about 30 miles, I saw about 20 different Teslas. In my day and a half in the country I probably saw 30 or 35.

I already knew that Norway is Teslas second largest market in large part because of the subsidies, but it was impressive nevertheless.

Let's hope some other countries start catching up. Go Tesla!

Forgive me, please, as I bet this has been discussed elsewhere, although I haven't found it. Just what *are* the Norwegian subsidies?

I'm under the impression that the "subsidies" are actually foregone taxes -- e.g., forgiveness of taxes usually charged on imported vehicles.

Can anyone list the incentives (whether an actual subsidy, a foregone tax, or something else) and the amounts?

Thanks,
Alan

Just coming back to the US from Norway on a business trip. Maybe those who live in California are more used to it, but I was shocked at the number of Teslas I ran into, especially in Oslo. On the taxi from Oslo airport to the city, about 30 miles, I saw about 20 different Teslas. In my day and a half in the country I probably saw 30 or 35.

I already knew that Norway is Teslas second largest market in large part because of the subsidies, but it was impressive nevertheless.

Let's hope some other countries start catching up. Go Tesla!

Forgive me, please, as I bet this has been discussed elsewhere, although I haven't found it. Just what *are* the Norwegian subsidies?

I'm under the impression that the "subsidies" are actually foregone taxes -- e.g., forgiveness of taxes usually charged on imported vehicles.

Can anyone list the incentives (whether an actual subsidy, a foregone tax, or something else) and the amounts?

Thanks,
Alan

Here it what it says on Teslas norwegian page about incentives: http://www.teslamotors.com/no_NO/incentives/NO

Might have to right click links and open in new tab to see the details.

Screenshot_2.jpg

Just coming back to the US from Norway on a business trip. Maybe those who live in California are more used to it, but I was shocked at the number of Teslas I ran into, especially in Oslo. On the taxi from Oslo airport to the city, about 30 miles, I saw about 20 different Teslas.

Rookie mistake :)

There are 8 trains per hour from the airport to the city centre, those trains take from 19 to 23 minutes. The taxi takes twice that time and costs 3-5 times as much ;)

Nice thread. I'm in New York now. Driving to Oslo airport yesterday (1 hour drive) I counted more than 40 S's (including mine).

From JFK to SoHo and so far today on Manhattan I've seen exactly 0 Teslas....

My wife and I are making our first ever trip to Norway in three weeks. We will be there for 15 days. We are looking forward to seeing a lot of Model S 's! I have to remember to pack my Tesla T-shirt :)

We live in the SF Bay Area and I see multiple Teslas every day (literally) but it will be fun to spot them while on vacation.

Tesla Model S is the most sold car model in Norway in Q1 2014. Tesla sold more cars than Ford. Model S about as exotic here as a VW Passat or Ford Focus.

Tesla sell so many cars here that it made a dent in the trade balance statistics for the country.

I usually see around 10 other Teslas on my 15 minute commute to work. Thursday I saw something like 30. Did a three Teslas in a row with some black ones on the motorway... Always fun, but more fun when they are all pearl white like mine.

I already knew that Norway is Teslas second largest market in large part because of the subsidies

There are no subsidies for EVs here. But no taxes either.

Polluting cars are taxed, often making them cost 50%-100% more than the same car in Sweden. The polluters must pay.

- - - Updated - - -

I check the supercharger construction map often, looking for the connection of Norway to Europe.

Two superchargers are due to open next week in Middelfart and Randers in Denmark. It'll make the trip from Norway through Denmark to Germany easy.

Much easier than when I did the trip in October.

But still no superchargers in northern Germany.

I'm looking forward to reading about the Norwegian invasion of Germany.

Usually it's the other way around.

Here it what it says on Teslas norwegian page about incentives: http://www.teslamotors.com/no_NO/incentives/NO

Might have to right click links and open in new tab to see the details.

View attachment 49982

Unfortunately Google Translate doesn't work that well translating the page.

The first bullet point is saying something about company cars. And when choosing an EV you get cheaper taxation.

Second one is ok, no tax and fees on vehicles and equipment bought with it.

We have a yearly fee per car, the most common one is approximately $500 for normal cars, but for EV's it's $70.

"Collective defense" should have been "Bus Lane", with EV's we can drive in the bus lane.

No road toll for EV's. (EV's also travel free on public ferry transport)

Higher deduction in tax returns for driving with EV's.

And the last one is for taxi drivers.

I hope this helps!

Zero CO2 tax (as Fredag stated ranging from 50-100% depending on type of vehicle).
Zero VAT tax (additional flat 25% percent)

Without these reductions, a Model S would probably cost around appr 160 000 dollars and up

Also we have benefits related to owning a electrical car:
Free toll road on roads, brigdes and tunnels
Reduced ferry toll (car is free, passengers must pay. Complaints already have started here)
All public parking in streets are free. Also some parking houses are free (complaints started in some of the major cities)
Many parking places has free charing included (typically 230V 16Amp, not much though)
Electric cars can drive in taxi/bus roads (at least for now, complaints have started, specially from bus drivers)

Having a electrical car in Norway gives you huge benefits. Driving a eletric luxury car also gives you a lot of looks.
Not all of them are good looks. People react differently to you driving a electrical Model S compared to a Citroen Saxo.
Most of the people are positive to this car, but I`ve experienced some "if looks could kill you, I would drop dead"