Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UMC trouble on Norwegian electricity network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Belgium (quite a long way from Norway). However, where I live, the electricity network is 230V phase-to-phase and without neuter (so-called 230V "delta"). If I am not mistaken, this is the same setup as most of Norway (the standard almost everywhere else in Europe being 400V phase-to-phase with neuter ("Y")).

I hear that I will not be able to charge at home when I use the standard UMC as delivered by Tesla. I understood the UMC expects one of the wires to be a real neutral. When it detects a phase on both, it refuses charging.

I heard/read rumors that Tesla promised to resolve this issue but I dind't find any information that confirms this.
Hence my question: did they already provide a fix for the issue in Norway? Is it possible to charge with the (Norwegian?) UMC from a household plug?

Norway has it's own version of the UMC, specially modified for the 230V IT net. It works pretty well with the Norwegian grid, after the most recent SW updates. If you use this UMC, it should work fine. (Though, don't hold me accountable if it doesn't work.) You might contact Tesla Norway and try to get them to sell one to you, if your local Tesla store isn't able to help. Also, you might need a SW update of some sort. I would definitely ask some questions surrounding this.

This is what it says in the manual:

Norway has a unique power grid, referred to as IT Net. For these reason, Model S and Mobile Connectors delivered to Norway are
specifically built to work with the Norwegian electricity grid. The Norwegian UMC will be fully functional across Europe. The EU UMC in
turn will not function in Norway, this can be bridged by a Type 2 Connector using a public charging station

Thanks for the answer, Yggdrasill.
I'll check with Tesla Belgium first if they would be willing to deliver me the Norwegian UMC.

The alternative for me is buying the Mennekes UMC in addition to the Tesla UMC ( + a feeling of disappointment towards Tesla :) ).

We are planning a trip to Norway (juli 20th - aug 7th 2015) and we are looking for a solution for the UMC problem. Does somebody know if we can borrow a Norwegian UMC at the Tesla SeC in Norway? Or can we borrow a UMC from one of the TMC members?
Thanks in advance!

We are planning a trip to Norway (juli 20th - aug 7th 2015) and we are looking for a solution for the UMC problem. Does somebody know if we can borrow a Norwegian UMC at the Tesla SeC in Norway? Or can we borrow a UMC from one of the TMC members?
Thanks in advance!
I find it incredibly shortsighted by Tesla to continue handing out the original UMC after they had the "Norwegian UMC" ready. It works all over Europe while the "Normal UMC" does not work in most of Norway and parts of Belgium (and Albania). Why make it complicated and surly in the future some European owners on trips to Norway frustrated and stranded? Is the "Normal UMC" that much cheaper to risk all that frustration?

Thanks for the answer, Yggdrasill.
I'll check with Tesla Belgium first if they would be willing to deliver me the Norwegian UMC.

The alternative for me is buying the Mennekes UMC in addition to the Tesla UMC ( + a feeling of disappointment towards Tesla :) ).

Hi DJiM,

I leave in 2 weeks and called Aartselaar service center today who told me that the regular UMC we got works in Norway.
It leaves me bit uncertain reading al the warnings...
So, have you made it up there? Did it work out?

PS I'd love to meet you again at another supercharger opening party sometime

I find it incredibly shortsighted by Tesla to continue handing out the original UMC after they had the "Norwegian UMC" ready. It works all over Europe while the "Normal UMC" does not work in most of Norway and parts of Belgium (and Albania). Why make it complicated and surly in the future some European owners on trips to Norway frustrated and stranded? Is the "Normal UMC" that much cheaper to risk all that frustration?

One theory is that the Norwegian UMC is not checking for ground faults like the "rest of Europe" UMC does, and therefore is a little bit less safe to use, but still, if the Norwegian is deemed safe enough I'd easly take that one instead, as mine didn't work for me when trying to charge in Bodø, and I had to find a type 2 charger instead to get to the next SC (after some extra travelling around after the previous charge).

Hi Norwegian friends!

I am planning my first trip to Norway! I am leaving THIS weekend!
Does anybody have a Norwegian UMC I could borrow for one week? I will be entering Norway from the southeast, so anyone in the general Oslo area would be great! (after Oslo I'll head up to Geiranger, and then back down the coast…)
I can bring dutch goodies of your liking as trade!! ;-)

Send me a PM if you can help!