Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Euro-spec vs USA Roadster differences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
The two white fan stickers visible under the license plate suggest it is a 2010 model, possibly even the sport.
(Apparently the 2010 PEM now uses an external big fan similar to the one used to cool the motor).

Also those red reflectors down low are new as well. Perhaps this is one of the first proper Euro-spec models?

Last edited:
USA-Spec:
2790673963_bee9fc242e.jpg

Euro-Spec:
ae4k.jpg

• Wider cutout in the bumper to support the wider European license plate.
  • Extra red reflectors down low on the diffuser.
tesla_roadster_repeater_right.jpg

tesla_roadster_repeater_closeup.jpg

Last edited:
Doesn't the D in the lower left of the plate indicate "Deutschland" (German) registration as apposed to the GB (Great Britain / UK) we had seen on earlier VPs?

Correct.

But is this a VP or RWE's car?

Also, is this the first time we have seen a Tesla charging lead with the new RWE/Mennekes Euro-standard connector? With 63A on tap, maybe that explains the size of the cable. I wonder if the car can draw all of it?

Last edited:
But is this a VP or RWE's car?
Also, is this the first time we have seen a Tesla charging lead with the new RWE/Mennekes Euro-standard connector? With 63A on tap, maybe that explains the size of the cable. I wonder if the car can draw all of it?

The one (AU58 JDX) plugged into the RWE charger seems to be the US spec VP.

The Euro-spec (EV9001) with the wide plate seems to be parked at a RWE location based on the RWE logo on the column in the left upper part of the picture. (Or maybe it is just RWE paperwork to go along with those IEC connectors mounted there)?

Tesla isnt that exactly on this things ;-)
When I was in Monaco in April 2008, the black VP12 was equipped with ONE licence plate, which looked like printed on an inkjet printer the night before, and stuck behind the rear window, fixed with some tesa film.

The european front licence plate holder does not look that "nice", not to say its an ugly thing. Because the european plate is much wider than the US one, it looks even more not so beautiful as on the US cars.
At this electric blue VP, they have done the same, but made it a smaller size and glued it there. Its illegal, and its illegal that it is a smaller size. They argue that it is allowed on rallye cars, which may be true, but I think this is only during rallyes, and I could not find it written that it is allowed to be smaller.
But it fits much better.
And it will pass through on that demonstration car, because which police officer in continental europe will know which special procedures and things might be allowed in the UK on UK cars? Especially when the driver points out the "electric car" feature. (or the police officer has seen the TV story on this 3000+ HP street legal red dragster car - then he knows that with the funny brits everything could be possible :wink:

But this is a UK license plate, isnt't it ?

Yes.

It looks like a stick on vinyl one. I doubt it is a printout - you can buy these things from the plate makers, but they are only supposed to be used at shows and not on the road.

I've seen them on Elises and other sports cars too. It's the sort of thing the police will pull you over for if they are under their quota for that month.

Previously I think we saw this same VP with a plastic holder but I prefer this as it doesn't ruin the lines.

unforgently the legal-version may not fit on front bumper,
in Germany you need two stamps on both plate's:

bottom front and rear: registration stamp's from the government

top rear: stamp for next TÜV - 'technical Inspection Ok till'..... green: till 2012 on RWE car.

.. interesting Part (may we have a Front Picture of the RWE car ?)

top front: on ICE car's a stamp for AU 'exhaust Inspection OK till'... should be missing on the RWE car.

..digressed .. the Government will not give you any stamp on a printed sticker ...

I think it is a D (Deutschland), but the lighting makes the D look a bit like an L...

(See further back in this thread where same EV9001 plate on the rear clearly has a 'D')