Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need to decide: Silver or Gray?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have a silver on order, but was originally thinking about gray, and now am back to considering gray. The pictures I see show a wide range of colors, and it changes by model. For those of you that actually have these, can you give me a sense of

How light is the silver? How dark is the gray?

In the photos I've seen, the silver looks pretty light, leading to a sharp contrast with the black pano roof and nose cone - maybe too much contrast? I originally thought gray would be too dark (with pano and black textile interior), but some pictures make it look much lighter. If so, that might be a neat stealthy and kind of understated look.

Opinions welcome, I just have a couple days till the build!

Last edited:
As already mentioned, the silver is very bright. I went with it and IMHO it looks great, especially with dark rims. I considered the grey but it looked too dull to me if there is no direct light on it. Either way you will be happy ;-)

Last edited:
Green, Grey and Silver were my top three choices. Grey is more beautiful in sunlight and motion than you might imagine, exhibiting sea shades of blue and green. Silver may be the best color for hiding dirt, and lowering maintenance. Green is gorgeous, especially when she sparkles emerald in the sun, but is a beast to keep clean. Fortunately cleaning and polishing Tess is a labor of love for me!

Fear not, you are in a "cannot lose" situation with Grey or Silver.

Gray it is!

Or maybe it is - I called my DS today and asked her about changing the color, she's checking into it but I haven't heard back yet. Gray was our original choice, but I switched to silver on Confirm day, been kinda going back and forth ever since... But gray just kind of has that "what was that?" mystery about it, I like that.

Silver looks great on the Model S, we went with dolphin gray on ours. Looks great in all types of lights. Choosing is so tuff, maybe some new pics will help :)
IMG_1928benedit_BP_zps35f06397.jpg
IMG_2143benedit_BP_zps8fa91edf.jpg

I respectfully disagree with yobigd20 on this matter. :) I'm quite happy with my silver Model S, and in fact ended up in the same situation as ghost640 -- I was convinced I'd be getting a grey car, until the day I placed the order, where I switched to silver at the last minute.

I have no regrets whatsoever, and I really do like the low-maintenance / dirt-hiding aspects of the silver. But in hindsight I think I'd have been equally happy with the grey, so I fall into the "there is no bad choice here" school of thought.

Edit to add: for what it's worth, grey is significantly more popular than silver, at least from my own observation and from what I've seen on the forums.

I love my brown Tesla, but I hadn't seen good pix of grey till after I confirmed. Tesla's grey can be quite the chameleon; I like that, so if I were doing it again, I'd seriously consider grey.

So I feel you're making the right choice between silver and grey, by trying to switch back to grey. ;-)