Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Chattanooga, TN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's interesting they are willing to pay $600 per month for a location with limited amenities, as I thought they typically paid only nominal rent. I'm sure the cost of electricity is still alot more than rent regardless.

Their lease with the Savannah airport was similar - "In Savannah, Tesla will have a five-year lease followed by a five-year renewal option. The company will pay the airport $600 a month and will be responsible for its own utility expenses."

http://savannahnow.com/exchange/2013-11-30/tesla-build-charging-station-airport#.U30UFNJdXs4

Well, I'd put it that Tesla is paying extra for the spots because they are paid parking places. I'd expect they're also pretty happy to pay a little more at airports, where there's stability and expansion room.
Perhaps true, but there is NOTHING to do other than watch planes come and go at our airport. (And not even many of them!!) No restaurants. No bars. NOTHING. And it's at least 2 or 3 miles off I-75 and perhaps 4 or 5 from I-24. Hamilton Place Mall would have been a far better choice. I had heard they were in negotiations with HPM so I was surprised they announced the airport.

Perhaps true, but there is NOTHING to do other than watch planes come and go at our airport. (And not even many of them!!) No restaurants. No bars. NOTHING. And it's at least 2 or 3 miles off I-75 and perhaps 4 or 5 from I-24. Hamilton Place Mall would have been a far better choice. I had heard they were in negotiations with HPM so I was surprised they announced the airport.

Well thats not too comforting...

Are all the restaurants behind security? I know that the airport is undergoing a major renovation; will there be someplace to eat after that's done?

Are all the restaurants behind security? I know that the airport is undergoing a major renovation; will there be someplace to eat after that's done?
All the restaurants??? There is one small counter with a few seats. I am going to go over there this morning and shoot a few shots and see if I can find the location of where the chargers are going to be located. I will post shots later.

Some additional information about this location that I just received. "We have completed the contract and my understanding is Tesla is waiting for the permit to be approved before they start the installation. Once they receive that it should take a very short amount of time to install. The agreement states that it will be in operation no later than August 15, 2014, but we expect it to start sooner.

Thanks for your interest and for the input. Please let your friends know that Tesla owners using the charging station will not be charged for the first two hours of parking in our lot each time they stop in."

There will be 6 bays and they will be in the Intermediate Parking Area right next to the terminal. You will need to stop and get a parking ticket but will not have to pay if you depart the parking area w/i two hours of arrival. Because it is a manned parking booth I hope there will not be an ICEing problem, but I just drove over there and the lot was completely full at about 10:30 AM this morning. I guess we will just have to see??? There is a small snackbar inside the terminal on the Mezzanine floor right before you go through security. The closest other food area would be a little over a mile away at the Waffle House and there is a Hardees there too. Hamilton Place would have been SOOOO much better. Ya gotta wonder???

There will be 6 bays and they will be in the Intermediate Parking Area right next to the terminal. You will need to stop and get a parking ticket but will not have to pay if you depart the parking area w/i two hours of arrival. Because it is a manned parking booth I hope there will not be an ICEing problem, . . .

This is exactly how it works at the Savannah airport supercharger.

Its sad that Tesla settled for a less optimal site. Hopefully its a thumb in the eye of someone who was less cooperative. Its good that something is finally coming to within 125 miles of me. Its sad that its not in a direction I drive.

More info from a contact at the airport. I asked her about food options in the area - "We do have a new concessions provider (Tailwind Concessions) and the food options are so much better than what used to be here. (I have worked here 5 years and ate here once with the old company; now I eat at Tailwind almost weekly, that is how much better the food is!). They also have specialty coffee drinks, smoothies and a full bar both pre- and post-security. I also added a few photos of the new pre-security space so you can see what a major improvement it is. We added tons of outlets for guests and we offer free WiFi. We are currently working on improving our WiFi too, which should also be done this summer."

May not elevate all the food concerns but its better than it was?

DSC03358.JPG

DSC03357.JPG

If you like a long ago revitalized downtown area with a river walk and free electric bus shuttles, music scene, small funky art area, white water rafting, kayaking, huge flat water, mountains, camping, hiking, mountain biking, hang gliding, spelunking, long spring and falls, teenage girls with a baby on one hip and a cigarette in the free hand cuz we don't believe in none that God-forsaken liberal sex edjacayshun--Chattanooga.

It also happens to be a two-hour drive from four major cities and at the intersection of two major interstates. It's a great destination and an even better place to live--a supercharger win-win.

The CHA food option is definitely better than the last time I was there. Hamilton Place Mall would have been ideal, though.