Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Made the car alarm go off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't think I was doing anything wrong..but here is how I made the car alarm go off:
I put the drivers window down all the way when I parked the car in the driveway. Went inside with the keyfob.
Came back outside without the keyfob to look for something in the car...figured I could put my hand in the open window, and open the door from the inside.
The door opened, AND the alarm went off !! Scared the %# outta me. :eek:
(old habits die hard...use to do this all the time with my ICE )

Morale of the story...always have the keyfob with you :smile:

p.s. Pressing the top keyfob button turned it off.

I managed to test the alarm by going to get coffees and leaving my wife in the car, then pulling out the app and locking the doors while I was being bored in the lineup. She didn't realize it, and I had forgotten, and she opened the door to accept her coffee when I got back. My hands of course were full with two coffees so it was a little embarrassing fumbling around for the key in a panic. I still laughed, though. :)

OK - time for an annoying story. Just this evening my kids and I got out of the car and walked into a store; my wife stayed in the car (passenger seat) and told us to go ahead because she was finishing up a phone call. A few minutes later I got a notification on my iPhone, something like "Model S alarm has been triggered," and then my wife walks in to the store, quite flustered. Similar to a couple of the other stories above.

The difference (and annoyance): she had her key fob in her purse at the time.

I wouldn't expect it to be possible to set off the alarm if you have a working key fob in the car... and yes I made sure it's working afterward. Wondering if I should contact service / report a bug, or if there's some possible reasoning why that should be the expected behavior.

Of course, unless/until I hear of a change/fix, next time I'll make sure she opens her door partially before I walk away.

OK - time for an annoying story. Just this evening my kids and I got out of the car and walked into a store; my wife stayed in the car (passenger seat) and told us to go ahead because she was finishing up a phone call. A few minutes later I got a notification on my iPhone, something like "Model S alarm has been triggered," and then my wife walks in to the store, quite flustered. Similar to a couple of the other stories above.

The difference (and annoyance): she had her key fob in her purse at the time.

I wouldn't expect it to be possible to set off the alarm if you have a working key fob in the car... and yes I made sure it's working afterward. Wondering if I should contact service / report a bug, or if there's some possible reasoning why that should be the expected behavior.

Of course, unless/until I hear of a change/fix, next time I'll make sure she opens her door partially before I walk away.

I'm not 100% sure of this, but I'm pretty sure any or all of the following would work to prevent the alarm from going off in the future:

1) You could unlock the car as you walk away. Unlocking the car by double-clicking your fob will override the walk-away locking feature. I think that alone should do it.
2) Your wife could touch the screen as soon as it goes off, to turn it back on and indicate to the Tesla that someone is in the car. I'm not certain if this would work or not.
3) Your wife could unlock the car with her fob as soon as the car locks itself when you walk away. Again, I don't think this is necessary if you take care of things by unlocking the car as described in 1).

Thinking about it more, I'm pretty sure touching the screen to turn it back on would be sufficient to prevent the alarm. About a year ago I was "stuck" at a public charger by myself for a couple hours, so I brought my laptop with me and spent the time in the passenger seat so I'd have more room. The alarm never went off, and I'm pretty sure I never explicitly unlocked the doors. I did make sure to keep the screen (and heat) on, as it was quite cold that day.

But I still think "walk away locking" shouldn't happen if one of the fobs hasn't walked away.

But I still think "walk away locking" shouldn't happen if one of the fobs hasn't walked away.

What if your wife had gone into the store with you and purposely or inadvertently left her bag, with the fob in it, in the car? That seems like a pretty common scenario in which people would definitely want the walk-away locking to engage. It's a pretty simple thing to consciously disarm the alarm any of the ways I suggested upthread if someone is staying in the car.

I actually left my wife in the car the other evening, and as I left I wasn't sure what would happen, so I warned her to tap the screen after I left to turn it back on, and I also unlocked the car when I left. One or both of those worked, as the alarm did not go off.

There are plenty of little things Tesla could change to make things better. I just don't agree that this is one of them.

I also had a problem for the first time, had the fob in my pocket and opened the drivers door to let a friend sit in the drivers seat and look at the interior. He left the drivers door open and I went around to the passenger door and when I opened it the alarm went off, I shut it off and sat it the passenger front seat and shut the door. The drivers door remained opened all this time and when I went to get out and opened the passenger door the alarm went off again. Has never happened before or since.