Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using Type 2 Cable as an Extension Lead

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

As we in the UK get churned up into a frenzy of excitement as our cars are nearly here, topics of discussion are getting more and more practical.

I'm wondering whether or not a Type 2 cable can be used as an extension lead?

Most of the rapid Type 2 charge points you find in the UK have tethered cables on them. If I find the space next to one of these ICEd, can I use my own Type 2 M-F cable to extend the reach of the tethered cable and so plug in to charge at another nearby space? Or is there something that prevents connecting a Type 2 M and a Type 2 F directly together on the end of two cables? Is there any safety issue?

Thanks!

Or is there something that prevents connecting a Type 2 M and a Type 2 F directly together on the end of two cables? Is there any safety issue?

There are potential safety issues: you could combine (eg) a 32A-rated cable and a 16A rated cable, and the EVSE would only see the rating of the one nearest to it, potentially overloading the 16A cable; also, there's no means to lock those two connectors together (locking is mandatory for DC and I think >32A AC).

However, the connectors are meant to be contrived so that it won't work. There are in fact a total of six variants of the type2 connector defined - three male, three female, of which some are cable-mount and some panel-mount. The male on the end of a free cable is supposed to have a short pin for the CP, such that when plugged into the panel-mount socket on an EVSE it makes contact, while when plugged into the free socket on another cable it doesn't make contact and so the EVSE doesn't turn on the power.