Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hays, KS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cottonwood

Roadster#433, Model S#S37
Feb 27, 2009
Colorado
I called around and no one at the obvious businesses knew anything about a Tesla Supercharger. I then looked on the Hays, KS town website, and they had no on-line permit search system, but there was an e-mail address for the . I sent him an e-mail and got this reply from Jesse within a few hours:

A permit has indeed been issued for a Tesla Charging station to be built in Hays. The station will be located at the Applebee’s restaurant located on the north side of I-70 at exit 159. I do not believe construction has started yet but should commence shortly if it has not. I believe this station will be similar to the one recently installed near you in Silverthorne in 2013. If I recall the plans correctly, there are 6 charging stations with expansion capability for an additional 2 spaces.

We hope you and your Tesla make it this way once the stations are complete. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jesse

Superintendent
City Of Hays
Planning, Inspection, Enforcement Division
1002 Vine St.
Hays, Ks 67601

I sent an e-mail thank you and got this reply:

As a follow-up to my earlier correspondence, ironically the contractor contacted our office this afternoon and have started work as of today. I did not get a projected completion date but they should be done soon.

Take care.
Jesse

There you go! We now have confirmation that Limon, CO; Goodland, KS; and Hays, KS are all under construction! The I-70 corridor from Denver to St Louis is off to a serious start!

With Limon, that brings the total of completed and under-construction Superchargers to 100! Hays is pretty close to the Geographic center of the contiguous United States; Lebanon, KS. Might be a nice place for the 100th Supercharger in the U.S.

Reactions: MarcoRP
I called around and no one at the obvious businesses knew anything about a Tesla Supercharger. I then looked on the Hays, KS town website, and they had no on-line permit search system, but there was an e-mail address for the . I sent him an e-mail and got this reply from Jesse within a few hours:

I sent an e-mail thank you and got this reply:

There you go! We now have confirmation that Limon, CO; Goodland, KS; and Hays, KS are all under construction! The I-70 corridor from Denver to St Louis is off to a serious start!

With Limon, that brings the total of completed and under-construction Superchargers to 100! Hays is pretty close to the Geographic center of the contiguous United States; Lebanon, KS. Might be a nice place for the 100th Supercharger in the U.S.

Nice work! I emailed them in late March and the person who I reached didn't know what a Supercharger was. Shows how quickly things can change!

Seems like Tesla's racing through Kansas, wind at their back.

For those in the Texas triangle: now only 582 miles from Corsicana.

Yes, it's downhill and the wind is at your back going from Denver to St Louis!

With active construction at three Supercharger Sites (Limon, Goodland, and Hays), 3 to 4 weeks per site, and 4 more to go until St Louis (Salina, Topeka, Independence, and Columbia), I-70 could be complete from Denver to St Louis in time for the TMC Connect caravan in July. That is optimistic, but we can hope... :wink:

BTW, the address is:

Applebee's Neighborhood Grill
4101 Vine St
Hays, KS 67601​

Google Maps

Salina makes sense because it will be useful for those heading north from OK City.

Ah yes, OKC to Denver would go that way. According to Google, town/city to town/city it's:
Salina, ks <- 125 miles -> Wellington, KS <- 135 miles -> OKC, OK

Then something around Topeka for travel East. There's a rest area east of Topeka, 119 miles east of Exit 252 in Salina. But it's around 136 miles from Topeka to Wichita which would mean a diversion or a need for destination charging for anyone making that trip. (I'm thinking of the future, with the sprawling Midwest a good candidate for electrification).

I'm so excited they are coming my way (in Kansas City). And very happy that Tesla is working to cover the entire US. It really sucks being in a non-hot area for something and getting ignored. Get the whole US covered! When that happens, more people will be taking Tesla seriously.

Hays is still a little far out for me to check out and take pictures personally, but once they are hitting closer to the KC area I will provide periodic updates with pictures. Though I may take a trip out to Denver later this summer -- if so I can drop by and check each one out.