Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New motor for my 1.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My motor makes a weird harmonic noise when accelerating at around 55-60mph, all the way through to 70-75. It sounds like a ghost or a banshee. Tesla tried to reseat the motor but I was skeptical it would work and it did not.
The noise is likely a slip frequency harmonic - around 400Hz. Try an online tone generator to see what 400Hz sounds like :)
Now I am waiting on a new motor but they tore down the part of the assembly line for Roadster motors and are waiting to build it back! Wait time is not known.

Anyway... Has anyone else experienced such a harmonic?

youch - was that covered by the warranty? So this happened recently or it's always been this way? I guess it's the level of the noise that's bothering you, it might have been there before but never as loud.

Just tell them that you would "settle" for a Model S motor! :wink:

Hey, very sorry to hear about your bad luck...especially the unknown length of the down time...any chance they can locate a motor from a wrecked Roadster?

My motor makes a weird harmonic noise when accelerating at around 55-60mph, all the way through to 70-75. It sounds like a ghost or a banshee. Tesla tried to reseat the motor but I was skeptical it would work and it did not.
The noise is likely a slip frequency harmonic - around 400Hz. Try an online tone generator to see what 400Hz sounds like :)
Now I am waiting on a new motor but they tore down the part of the assembly line for Roadster motors and are waiting to build it back! Wait time is not known.

Anyway... Has anyone else experienced such a harmonic?

youch - was that covered by the warranty? So this happened recently or it's always been this way? I guess it's the level of the noise that's bothering you, it might have been there before but never as loud.

Yes covered by the warranty. It was always there but I assumed that was the norm until I drove a loaner and the noise was not there. I also drove in another Roadster belonging to a forum member and the noise was not present.

Just tell them that you would "settle" for a Model S motor! :wink:

Hey, very sorry to hear about your bad luck...especially the unknown length of the down time...any chance they can locate a motor from a wrecked Roadster?

Since my Roadster was new, I expy they will build me a new motor. I really don't want to settle for a wrecked part.

btw if your local service center is having issues finding one, I did remember seeing the Seattle service center them having a roadster motor on display (it's located in the south east corner of the building, customer waiting room), on closer inspection it's looks new and unused to me.
<Edit> Opps just remembered that it was an 2.0 or 2.5 motor not an 1.5 that was on display.

Last edited:
Sure, I agree with you on the replacement issue...but, if they have a good used part in working order, why not ask them to install it as a temporary fix so you can keep driving your car in the interim...

The noisy motor runs. It just makes a lot of noise above 60mph. According to their engineers it is not going to fall apart anytime soon, but eventually it will.