Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday in Norway with a german Model S and Family

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear Model S Colleagues,

I plan a trip to Norway in August 2014 with my Model S and my family. Can I get to the North Cape with my Model S? Which other quick chargers do you have in Norway beside the SC? Is there a private charging community already existing with kWh = bottle of wine?:)

Thanks for your help and info!

Ralf

Dear Model S Colleagues,

I plan a trip to Norway in August 2014 with my Model S and my family. Can I get to the North Cape with my Model S? Which other quick chargers do you have in Norway beside the SC? Is there a private charging community already existing with kWh = bottle of wine?:)

Ralf

this is also interesting for me. I too would like to take my family to Norway, maybe as early as late August or beginning of September.

Any help or comments are greatly appreciated.

Johann (with two 'n')

Dear Model S Colleagues,

Ralf

Ralf:

Look for videos/posts from Bjorn in Norway, who has vast experience driving throughout the country, with a recent video/trip to the North Cape:

Tesla Model S videos: #8 North Cape part 1 - YouTube

He likely can point you to charging resources.

The latest SuperCharger additions makes this adventure much easier. There is still a few challenges ahead:

1. The gap around Trondheim. We do not yet have any SuperCharger in progress in the Trondheim area. Means you will have to find a 22kW type 2 outlet and bring your type 2 cable - or rely on slow Shuko charge.

2. The stretch from Setermoen to Nordkapp (North cape) and also the Lofoten islands and the coastal road from north of Trondheim towards Lofoten. All of these are without superchargers - thus you will need to use type 2 and shuko type outlets. The distance from Setermoen to Nordkapp is too far. A future supercharger seems to come at Skibotn (just 515km left to go to Nordkapp) - it is listed for 2016.. Let's hope it arrives before and that Alta, Honningsvåg/Nordkapp. Lakselv and Tana will follow. That would give full supercharger coverage for the top of Norway. Bring your type 2 cable (very few places for that in northern Norway), bring adapters (read below to be able to use various red or blue outlets, bring patience for Shucko charging (13A), bring creativity and enthusiasm for asking the natives for help and access to plugs at garages, harbours, ferries, workshops, kitchens, and at the back of grocery stores (where the rubbish compactor usually is located - and connected to a red or blue plug)

3. The promised ChaDeMo adapter would help as there are many of ChaDeMo chargers around (almost all in the southern half of Norway). But so far the ChaDeMo adapter is as rare as unicorns... If you got one - find your ChaDeMo chargers here: Hurtigladekartet - they are as you can see very few north of Trondheim (one each in Bodø, Sortland and Tromsø) - a few more are coming.

4. Be aware of various schemes for getting access to the type 2 22kW plugs - some are freely accessible=free use, some requires an SMS to be sent to open the lid, some require an RFID card (some just any card=free use, others a specific card=some kind of payment scheme), and some require an old fashioned key (usually free). Find them here: Hurtigladekartet (tick off for type 2 both "hurtig" and "semihurtig" - many of these will deliver 22kW or more, but some only 11kW)

5. There are also many slow-charging options. Usually 10, 13 or 16A. Always Shuko. Usually free. In many cases requires the "municipal parking key". Check with the public parking company - you should be able to get one for free. At shopping centers, hotels etc.. these would be free

6. High power plug options. You might find all of these:
- Red 3phase 16A outlet - you need the red adapter for the UMC (Tesla sells these).
- Red 3 phase 32A outlet - you need a 32A->16A adapter + the above mentioned red adapter for the UMC.
- Blue 3 phase 16A outlet - you need a 16A adapter to connect to the red adapter for the UMC.
- Blue 1 phase 16A outlet - you need a 16A adapter to connect to the red adapter for the UMC.
- Blue 1 phase 32A outlet - you need the blue adapter for the UMC (Tesla sells these).
Check this page: Adaptersett til Tesla Model S, rød utgave for all kinds of adapters

Good luck and happy travels!!

The latest SuperCharger additions makes this adventure much easier. There is still a few challenges ahead:

1. The gap around Trondheim. We do not yet have any SuperCharger in progress in the Trondheim area. Means you will have to find a 22kW type 2 outlet and bring your type 2 cable - or rely on slow Shuko charge.

2. The stretch from Setermoen to Nordkapp (North cape) and also the Lofoten islands and the coastal road from north of Trondheim towards Lofoten. All of these are without superchargers - thus you will need to use type 2 and shuko type outlets. The distance from Setermoen to Nordkapp is too far. A future supercharger seems to come at Skibotn (just 515km left to go to Nordkapp) - it is listed for 2016.. Let's hope it arrives before and that Alta, Honningsvåg/Nordkapp. Lakselv and Tana will follow. That would give full supercharger coverage for the top of Norway. Bring your type 2 cable (very few places for that in northern Norway), bring adapters (read below to be able to use various red or blue outlets, bring patience for Shucko charging (13A), bring creativity and enthusiasm for asking the natives for help and access to plugs at garages, harbours, ferries, workshops, kitchens, and at the back of grocery stores (where the rubbish compactor usually is located - and connected to a red or blue plug)

3. The promised ChaDeMo adapter would help as there are many of ChaDeMo chargers around (almost all in the southern half of Norway). But so far the ChaDeMo adapter is as rare as unicorns... If you got one - find your ChaDeMo chargers here: Hurtigladekartet - they are as you can see very few north of Trondheim (one each in Bodø, Sortland and Tromsø) - a few more are coming.

4. Be aware of various schemes for getting access to the type 2 22kW plugs - some are freely accessible=free use, some requires an SMS to be sent to open the lid, some require an RFID card (some just any card=free use, others a specific card=some kind of payment scheme), and some require an old fashioned key (usually free). Find them here: Hurtigladekartet (tick off for type 2 both "hurtig" and "semihurtig" - many of these will deliver 22kW or more, but some only 11kW)

5. There are also many slow-charging options. Usually 10, 13 or 16A. Always Shuko. Usually free. In many cases requires the "municipal parking key". Check with the public parking company - you should be able to get one for free. At shopping centers, hotels etc.. these would be free

6. High power plug options. You might find all of these:
- Red 3phase 16A outlet - you need the red adapter for the UMC (Tesla sells these).
- Red 3 phase 32A outlet - you need a 32A->16A adapter + the above mentioned red adapter for the UMC.
- Blue 3 phase 16A outlet - you need a 16A adapter to connect to the red adapter for the UMC.
- Blue 1 phase 16A outlet - you need a 16A adapter to connect to the red adapter for the UMC.
- Blue 1 phase 32A outlet - you need the blue adapter for the UMC (Tesla sells these).
Check this page: Adaptersett til Tesla Model S, rød utgave for all kinds of adapters

Good luck and happy travels!!

Do also take a look here: Model S ladekart This is a special map for model S charging. For some the red or blue adapter is needed.