Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interstellar - The Movie

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm topping this thread since the movie is about to be released (even though it seems I'm the only one psyched about it) and to share this really cool article on how they built the movie.

How Building a Black Hole for Interstellar Led to an Amazing Scientific Discovery | WIRED

Some interesting tidbits:

Some individual frames took up to 100 hours to render, the computation overtaxed by the bendy bits of distortion caused by an Einsteinian effect called gravitational lensing. In the end the movie brushed up against 800 terabytes of data. “I thought we might cross the petabyte threshold on this one,” von Tunzelmann says.

Awesome! Glad there are others out there. :) Oh, wow, I didn't realize he was that old. He's one of my favorite actors. Speaking of Michael Caine...this gets me every time. hahaha

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link. On that wired page is another Interstellar trailer that is somewhat different than the trailer posted earlier in this thread. And there is a very interesting video about the technique used to visually model the black hole equations that Thorne came up with.

Some of the film was shot in Iceland at the Svínafellsjökull glacier. I was in Iceland last summer and on the plane flight there I sat next to a set carpenter who was going to work on the film. He didn't know much about it but was looking forward to the experience! He said the working title was "Flora's Letter" but the release title would be different. He was right about that.

I'm topping this thread since the movie is about to be released (even though it seems I'm the only one psyched about it) and to share this really cool article on how they built the movie.

How Building a Black Hole for Interstellar Led to an Amazing Scientific Discovery | WIRED
http://www.wired.com/2014/10/astrophysics-interstellar-black-hole/

It was a good movie, but I was actually disappointed. From what people have told me, if the movie was more closely matched to the leaked script (that went viral on the internet a while back) it would likely have been a mind blowing movie for sci-fi fans. Instead it's more watered down for the masses.

Saw it last night. I love science fiction, so I'll watch anything of that genre. The movie was long and slow to get started, but very thought provoking and visually stunning. This is how I like my SciFi. Highlight for me was the first of the two planets, however one or two things in the film exceed what I would consider 'plausible', and I think the Star Trek transporter is plausible :tongue:.

It was a good movie, but I was actually disappointed. From what people have told me, if the movie was more closely matched to the leaked script (that went viral on the internet a while back) it would likely have been a mind blowing movie for sci-fi fans. Instead it's more watered down for the masses.

Interesting. Well, here is an article where Neil deGrasse Tyson actually likes the science he saw in the movie. I love sci-fi movies, but I love the ones that are closest to our reality that could happen one day (I guess that's for selfish reasons....would love to be that generation that travels through space). So if he accepts the movie's scientific points, I like it that much more.

After 'Cosmos,' Neil deGrasse Tyson Dives Into Science of 'Interstellar' - NBC News

I didn't read about it before going to see it and I was blown away. Way better believability than I get from other big budget SF.

I won't say it's perfect but I will say it had it all, CGI, acting, cinematography, plot, sound, everything was done well on the whole.

I could have used subtitles for one or two of the scenes, can't wait to get this on disc so I can watch it with subtitles and be sure I catch all the dialog instead of 98%.

My God why can't they do Star Trek like this instead of that schlock they do under Abrams!?

I have tons of questions and one or two things I would change but I came away from this movie elated at how well it was done. If they don't get nominated in every applicable Oscar category it'd be an injustice and if they don't win at least half the ones they are nominated for it'd be even worse.

I liked it, wife didn't, I think the first hours could have been cut down to 30 minutes to take some of the length out of the movie...might have tried a little too hard to leverage the character acting of Mconaughey. The biggest problem is that the trailer portrays a different movie to the actual thing, so I suspect some might leave disappointed if they're hoping for something closer to Star Trek (which I also love, but it's almost a different genre in this respect).

I liked it. Even if in a kind of cheesy, filmatic way, it respected the principle of self-consistency (Novikov self-consistency principle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) by playing out in a circular fashion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed_timelike_curve) which kind of answers the why? with a because! as physicist have shown to be likely true. And this ties closely in to the movie's interpretation of Murphy's law - not that "whatever can go wrong will go wrong" but rather "what ever can happen will happen" with the logical AND physically correct interpretation being that: if something happens then the moment later it obviously has happened and the moment before it was obviosly bound to happen, and therefore even if you could bend time or even go back in time, it would still happen since it was both bound to happen, took place in that moment of time and afterwards had happened. All in Closed time loop.