Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla credit card key - who's interested?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DaveT

Searcher of green pastures
Nov 15, 2012
Texas
One of the features I miss from my previous car is the credit card key I had with my Lexus. It allowed me to stick the key in my small wallet and just carry one item. Now with the Model S, I need to carry my wallet and the key fob. It might not sound like a big deal and I'm dealing with it, but it sure would be nice if Tesla offered a credit card key as an option, even it was a post-purchase option that you needed to purchase at a service center.

I'm attaching a few pics of my previous credit card key for my Lexus. It didn't come with the factory car, I had to purchase it separately after and get it programmed at the dealer.

I'm curious, is anybody else interested in having Tesla offer a credit card key? Please reply and hopefully Tesla will see this thread and see that there's a demand for it.

IMG_6695.png
IMG_6696.png

I'd be down. I had vague ideas of dissembling a Nike Fuelband and a key to somehow mesh the two and have my key on my wrist. Didn't work out so well, but still interested in a key that's always with me.

Here's a few more pics.

The credit card key thickness is about 3 credit cards put together as seen in the photo.

And the height/width is about the same size of a credit card. Actually the key is slightly smaller in height and width.

IMG_6697.JPG
IMG_6698.jpg

I'd like it! The only downside is that you would no longer have easy access to the trunk and frunk opening buttons (digging inside your wallet isn't easy access).

I think only Tesla would be able to build this though? Due to the crypto key?

I'd like it! The only downside is that you would no longer have easy access to the trunk and frunk opening buttons (digging inside your wallet isn't easy access).

I think only Tesla would be able to build this though? Due to the crypto key?

Yeah, currently my Lexus credit card key only allows me to access the car. Even though I like the function of opening the trunk and/or frunk with the Tesla key fob I think the key fob is a bit cumbersome to carry around, especially after carrying a credit card key in my wallet for the past few years. With a credit card key, you barely ever realize you're carrying a key.

Also, it definitely would be something Tesla would have to make.

Here are a couple extra photos with the battery.

In my experience, I need to change the battery maybe every 6 months or so. But my car will alert me when the battery is low by showing me a message on the dash that says my key's battery is low. So, it hasn't been a problem. I usually just store an extra battery in the car, so when I get that warning I can change it out on the spot.

Also, Lexus did have a spot at the top of the credit card key for a spare thin physical key but I never got that made and never used it.

IMG_6699.png
IMG_6700.png

I expect with the help of someone at a service center you could use a Lexus brand key and add this to your other keys. I don't know if anyone would help you at the service center though with the big L on that card. Maybe paint on a T or S.

I like the idea, though I'm not sure I would want my car key inside a common theft target like a wallet.

I had vague ideas of dissembling a Nike Fuelband and a key to somehow mesh the two and have my key on my wrist.
This has me interested. It could always be on you like any other wrist band, probably less likely to be stolen, and it could have the buttons easy to access while less likely than the fob to be accidentally pressed.

I like this idea but I'd rather my phone do this and not have to fatten my wallet.

Yes, I posted this in the firmware wishlist thread. A secure Bluetooth connection to my phone, with an optional PIN (either on the phone or 17" touchscreen) would be awesome to start/run the car without the key fob. Also good for situations where you might have left the key fob somewhere else by accident or lost it.

Something like: "Please enter PIN and duration to allow <phonename> to act as key fob". Tesla Motors could do this now with just a software update, and I hope they do it eventually.