Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Friday Morning Drive on the Pacific Coast Highway - PCH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Bgarret

Model 3 ownin' Michigan scofflaw
May 10, 2013
Michigan
I'm coming to TMC connect a day early and contacted the factory for a tour...but they aren't giving any in July. I just reserved a Model X #9898 and I'm getting a Model S from Hertz for about the cost of renting a small plane. Instead of the factory tour, I was thinking of golfing when I had a vision of a whole line of a Model S sedans cruising down the Pacific Coast Highway (one of the most beautiful cars on one of the most beautiful roads). I can golf anytime, this will be one of the few times I get to drive a Tesla until I get my X next year......so.....

Who wants to go for a drive?

My idea (open to refinement and improvement through crowd sourcing and local knowledge) would be to meet up at the Hyatt in Carmel between 7-8am, charge up anyone who needed it, and head out along the PCH for the Atascadero Supercharger - about 120 miles riding along the Pacific Ocean. It would take about 2.5. - 3 hours to get to the 8 superchargers in Atascadero. Depending on the number of Teslas, we could stop for a leisurely lunch and recharge/socialize. We could then head back for the Happy Hour at the Hyatt at 6:00.

Anyone coming up from LA could meet up with us for the drive back to Carmel.

If someone didn't want to drive, they could just show up in the morning at the Hyatt and ride along. It might not be up to the standards of Bonnie's party or the Hot Tub brain trust, but it sounds like fun to me.

A couple people suggested I start a thread to see if the idea had any traction:redface:....so.....

Who wants to go for a drive?

Last edited:
List of drivers and riders.

Wiki

List of people who want to drive the PCH loop on Friday morning (meet at 8am by chargers in Hyatt Regency parking lot):

1. Bob Garretson (brown P85)
2. Richard Linsdall
3. Paul Carter and rolosrevenge (Gray 60 Model X plates)

List of people driving Northbound only -- Atascadero to Monterey (please include your estimated arrival time at Atascadero):

1. ZBB (arriving about 12:30pm, give or take 30 min...)
2. Jon and Jaci Matson 12:30 have lunch at hamburger place nearby
3. Sean - irishstoutaz & Tracy Hansen (arriving around 12-1)
4. Jim (Lump) Get to Buellton around 10:45, charge, arrive Atascadero 12:15

Last edited by a moderator:
Highway 1 through Big Sur is a great drive, but very slow. There are lots of great places to stop for pictures. Perhaps highway 1 southbound and return via 101. Those of us driving up from L. A. could meet you for lunch in Morro Bay.

We're driving up from Disneyland that Friday...

I'd expect to be at Atascadero by early afternoon, although exact time depends on poke-along stops... Perhaps we'll become part of the chain heading back north...

Last edited:
Will this drive still happen? We may join in Atascadero for the Northbound trip but have booked the Marriott in Buellton so may want to try to go via HWY 1 on Fri instead of on Sun when we head back home. However, we will be topping off in Atascadero Fri after visiting Paso Robles so would be nice to meet up with folks if the timing works out.

Will this drive still happen? We may join in Atascadero for the Northbound trip but have booked the Marriott in Buellton so may want to try to go via HWY 1 on Fri instead of on Sun when we head back home. However, we will be topping off in Atascadero Fri after visiting Paso Robles so would be nice to meet up with folks if the timing works out.

Let's touch base on Sat at the Ahwatukee meetup. We're still driving up 101 and 1 from Disneyland on Friday...

I'll be driving from the BBQ in my rental car but will try to make it if someone posts the meet up time and place.
OK....let's do this. The meeting location and time is 8am in The Hyatt Regency parking lot - wherever the chargers are located (if anyone knows this logistic detail, please share). For those driving the loop from Carmel down Rt.1, through Cambria to the Atascadero supercharger and back, (MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map) we will leave the Hyatt at 8:30 and meander down the coast with an eta at the Atascadero supercharger of 11:30. Charge up, lunch and then head back on the more direct inland route to aim to get back in plenty of time for the beginning of the exhibits at 4pm. Anyone that would like to join up from the South, I think the sweet spot would be Atascadero between 11:30 and 1:30.

If you are (still) interested, I will try to make this a wiki post to add your name. My concern is a pile-up at the Atascadero supercharger between people doing the loop, normal traffic and TMC attendees from SoCal. Any suggestions would be appreciated. If you are flying into TMC connects and want to ride along please specify (passenger) in your post.

Looking forward to seeing king everyone this week.

Bob Garretson

OK....let's do this. The meeting location and time is 8am in The Hyatt Regency parking lot - wherever the chargers are located (if anyone knows this logistic detail, please share). For those driving the loop from Carmel down Rt.1, through Cambria to the Atascadero supercharger and back, (MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map) we will leave the Hyatt at 8:30 and meander down the coast with an eta at the Atascadero supercharger of 11:30. Charge up, lunch and then head back on the more direct inland route to aim to get back in plenty of time for the beginning of the exhibits at 4pm. Anyone that would like to join up from the South, I think the sweet spot would be Atascadero between 11:30 and 1:30.

If you are (still) interested, I will try to make this a wiki post to add your name. My concern is a pile-up at the Atascadero supercharger between people doing the loop, normal traffic and TMC attendees from SoCal. Any suggestions would be appreciated. If you are flying into TMC connects and want to ride along please specify (passenger) in your post.

Looking forward to seeing king everyone this week.

Bob Garretson
The second post on this thread is now a wiki post to sign up for the loop or to meet up for the PCH drive on African morning - thanks Bonnie. If you want to drive or ride, please sign up.

Not sure if others are still interested, but we have a couple of people doing the loop and a couple joining up in Atascadero. If you want to go for a scenic drive on Friday morning or meet at Atascadero for lunch, sign up in the Wiki post in the second post on the thread.

See ya'll the next couple days.