Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3D Printing for the Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3D printing is everywhere, so I started experimenting also. I intend to print something like this:

Any other ideas?

It will get excessively dusty in that location unless you enclose it in a plastic container. Nothing would be worse for your connector and plug than to get them dirty. That will compromise the electrical connections. I have to say I like your simple design though.

There's another thread where somebody mounted a plastic container with a water-tight lid in that location. The container was a near-perfect fit.

Other ideas? I'd like to print a small storage bin to stick on the floor under my right leg in front of the seat. It could hold coins, glasses, maybe a phone. The existing storage under the center console is too hard to reach while you're driving.

Good timing :)
I just started designing a 3D model for a wide (4"+) insert into my 1.5's shelf area last week.

My idea is to basically mostly hollow this insert out, and make it into two conjoining halves seperated by a powerful spring, so that I can compress it to put it in the dash, and then after you stop compressing the spring, you have a perfectly-contour-fitting rock-solid platform to mount things in the car. Which, in my case, will be an integrated Nexus 5 + magnetic wireless car charger in a 3d printed car dock integrated in this platform. Also going to sand this down to make sure it's very smooth, wash it, dry it, and then put some carbon fiber wrap on it to match the look of the car interior rather than looking like cheap rough-edged nylon.

Mostly it's because all of the car dock options so far that I've found have exposed wires, are ugly, don't provide charging, aren't engineered to sit nicely in a shelf, you have to plug in the phone seperately, and usually don't hold up to... spirited... bouts of acceleration. I'm pretty sure I can fix all problems of these for not too much work... so I will :)

I don't really understand, but you might send a picture. Which 3D program do you use?

Good timing :)
I just started designing a 3D model for a wide (4"+) insert into my 1.5's shelf area last week.

My idea is to basically mostly hollow this insert out, and make it into two conjoining halves seperated by a powerful spring, so that I can compress it to put it in the dash, and then after you stop compressing the spring, you have a perfectly-contour-fitting rock-solid platform to mount things in the car. Which, in my case, will be an integrated Nexus 5 + magnetic wireless car charger in a 3d printed car dock integrated in this platform. Also going to sand this down to make sure it's very smooth, wash it, dry it, and then put some carbon fiber wrap on it to match the look of the car interior rather than looking like cheap rough-edged nylon.

Mostly it's because all of the car dock options so far that I've found have exposed wires, are ugly, don't provide charging, aren't engineered to sit nicely in a shelf, you have to plug in the phone seperately, and usually don't hold up to... spirited... bouts of acceleration. I'm pretty sure I can fix all problems of these for not too much work... so I will :)

- - - Updated - - -

So you used the 3D printing to make the storage for your charger and cable???

Yes, but this was just an exercise, the next build looks better!

Last edited: