Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Optional New Feature!

Would you choose this option?

• Yes

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 20 62.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received an email from Linda, Alcantara inserts along the upper dashboard trim will be available. Its free, should I? Or should I not?

I haven't seen any cars with Alcantara on the dash before, what do you guys think?
Picture_1.jpg
Picture_2.png

From what I can see on the pictures (plus my imagination) it looks great.

I would be worried about filth and cleaning though. Probably would not order it because of this concern. I do not like to put a lot of work in keeping my car clean - I mainly use it for its transportation value.

I am also trying to decide rather or not to add this option.

Since the roof is going to be wrap in beige alcantara, and the Seat is going to get some White Alcantara on the sides, I am not sure if I want a third colored Alcanatra in the car...

But there shouldn't be too much concern about cleaning it, as you rarely get the dash board dirty. Just vacuum if needed.

I like it.
but I pet my passenger seat sometimes too

strange, the car is backwards in the overhead pic

RHD spec, I assume.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting. Alcantara is harder to clean than leather (or fake leather), so I would probably avoid this option. Unsure how it would do over time with direct sun exposure as well . . .

Probably less of a concern in HK rather than here in Tx or SoCal...I like the look of it though, might make the rather utilitarian interior a little more plush.

RHD spec, I assume.

- - - Updated - - -

Probably less of a concern in HK rather than here in Tx or SoCal...I like the look of it though, might make the rather utilitarian interior a little more plush.

I would avoid it if you live where there is much sun. My only other experience with the material is in Ferraris and it fades badly over 3-6 years and the result is the dash color does not match the same material on the seats.
Love that Tesla is still coming up with new "improvements" but I think they could better utilize the R&D costs/time to work on existing issues like door seals that cover the edge of the headlining, releasing that fix so that the third row seats can be used in temps over 70 degrees, etc.

Just received an email from Linda, Alcantara inserts along the upper dashboard trim will be available. Its free, should I? Or should I not?

I haven't seen any cars with Alcantara on the dash before, what do you guys think?

Elon's first personal Model S had this option, which at the time his car was built, was not available to customers. I know this because at the first GET AMPED test drive event Elon volunteered his personal car to be used as a test vehicle due to the limited number of test vehicles at the time.

As much as I admire Elon I never saw the practicality of this option so I voted no.

Larry

I voted yes. Absolutely love it; gives the interior more of a supercar feel...now I'm all confused about my "firm" choice of beige/obeche-matt with MC red. Gray with black inserts looks wicked cool even with MC Red exterior.

I don't see this yet on the configurator. Guess it's "coming soon".

I voted yes. Absolutely love it; gives the interior more of a supercar feel...now I'm all confused about my "firm" choice of beige/obeche-matt with MC red. Gray with black inserts looks wicked cool even with MC Red exterior.

I don't see this yet on the configurator. Guess it's "coming soon".

Its not Gray with Black inserts. It's black with black inserts or gray with gray inserts unless they decide to change that.

Interesting. Alcantara is harder to clean than leather (or fake leather), so I would probably avoid this option. Unsure how it would do over time with direct sun exposure as well . . .

Alcantara is composed of about 68% polyester and 32% polyurethane [4] giving increased durability and stain resistance. (From Wikipedia)

I would avoid it if you live where there is much sun. My only other experience with the material is in Ferraris and it fades badly over 3-6 years and the result is the dash color does not match the same material on the seats.

It's a chemically man made material one component of which is the dye. It's unlikely that the same chemical dye used in Ferraris, that faded, will be used in the Tesla. But who knows?

Noted no because I had the extended leather option. So instead of a free upgrade it seems like a free downgrade for me.

But I may change my mind and remove extended leather, add alcantara dash and change my normal leather seats to performance seats to complete the 'racing' feel inside. What do you guys think?

I thought that before as well, but then someone noted that the extended leather doesn't actually include the top dashboard trim. That part is always 'leather' no matter what options you choose. From the Design Studio you can see it doesn't include.

I thought that before as well, but then someone noted that the extended leather doesn't actually include the top dashboard trim. That part is always 'leather' no matter what options you choose. From the Design Studio you can see it doesn't include.

Errrr when I ordered it back then (April 2014), I am sure the extended leather option also covers top of dash. Although it is already in leather even without the option, they use a different kind of leather and it is hand stitched vs machine stitched. I have confirmed with TT from TMHK before I included this option.

CCT, thanks for reminding that their website has changed. I better double confirm with TMHK during my test drive this Sunday.